Brave 22 ton XR splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedT

Jan 21, 2013
Sauk City, WI
Does anyone have or used the XR version of the Brave 22 ton splitter? It's allot less expensive than the VH version ($1055 vs $1650) at my local store. The things I am concerned about is that there is no filter for the hydraulics and only comes with the B&S engine instead of having the choice of the Honda engine. This will be for homeowner use only (about 10 chords a year).

Thanks,
Ted

Welcome to the forum Ted.

Ted, for sure there should be no worry with the B&S engine. Our 20 ton has that and although we may have to replace it soon, it has done well splitting way over 200 cord of wood. My mistake was loaning it out... But I am not familiar with the Brave so hopefully someone else will chime in.

The biggest difference in those machines is the engine. The vertical shaft Briggs is basically the same thing you'd find on a push mower. Easy to find parts for and cheap to replace down the road if necessary. The XR looks like it may also have a smaller foot plate and there is another 90lbs of steel in the VH somewhere.

I'm guessing the GX Honda is the upgrade engine you were looking at, and most of the price difference is due to that engine. The 6.5HP Briggs on the VH is a great option too and I might even take that over the Honda GC. Especially if the price was lower.

Brave makes great splitters (Brave also owns Iron & Oak ;) ) and made in th USA too. Also, I highly recommend the BR021172 Log dislodger kit. Really handy if you get a log stuck on the wedge, which will happen eventually.

Sounds like Brave made a splitter to compete with the Huskee 22-ton splitter's price point. Both have the vertical shaft 190cc B&S engine, but there is a factory rated cycle time is different. This doesn't matter to some.

Brave = 15s, Huskee = 13s (If we can trust their numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.