Break-in fires for Woodstock Progress and Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
This question comes up several times and there have been differing opinions on it. Tony suggested I post how we do it and we sort of have Woodstock's blessing on this. Here is what I received from Woodstock:

"Those instructions for the first fires are great. I wish more people would follow them. It's more to cure the cast iron. If you had the time, you can usually achieve that in 2 days."

The only way I differ is that I think the break-in can be done in one day. So here is a suggestion:

1. First fire. Up to 6 pieces of kindling (1" x 1" maximum). Light the fire (super cedar works great), leave the draft full open and just let it burn out.

2. Second fire. (Stove should cool some but should not have to be cold before second fire.) Same amount of kindling. No more than 2 small or medium splits. Light the fire and let it burn. After splits get burning good, close draft to about 50%. Let the fire go until it is out.

3. Third fire. Stove should cool down some but no need to wait for total cold stove. Just luke warm. Same amount of kindling. This time 3-4 splits and light the fire. Stove top should reach 350-400. If the temperature goes higher, no worries. Again turn the draft down to 50% as on your second fire but after you feel the fire is good and established, turn the draft down to at least 25%. Let the fire burn itself out.

At this point you should be good to go with hotter fires. I'd suggest aiming for 500-550 on the next fire and finally to 600 or more. The stove should be ready for big time burning now.

EDIT: On the second burn you may or may not get hot enough to engage the cat but you should on the third burn. (200 degree stove top and 400 flue (measured on single wall flue pipe.))

I hope this will clear up the break-in for those who buy a new stove.

Thanks, Dennis!

So, this is all with the cat disengaged?

Sorry about that Waulie. If the stove and flue reach that magic temperature (200 stove top; 400 flue (measured on single wall pipe)), then yes, engage the cat. This may or may not happen on the second burn but should on the third burn. I'll edit that.

Thanks Dennis. Printed it out so I don't lose it.

This would be a nice Woodstock blog entry or they should get some operating videos going like they promised to do over a year ago.

Dennis:

Thanks for posting the instructions, I am sure it will help many.

My Progress is currently in the garage waiting for a Dec 22nd installation (sigh, that's when the movers and installer both arrive!).
I figured with my sickly back, it's worth it to hire some pros to move and install this 750 # beast. I installed the FV with a bunch of buddies, along with some good beer and grilling, but that was in the middle of July and I was 5 years less older. This time I will happily write the check.

Tony, as we age and especially when we have those back problems, yes, it is time to ask or even pay for some help at times. I'm glad you are doing this as it has not been that long since you hurt your back. We'll be patiently waiting for some reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.