broke termovar flange nut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

free75degrees

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2008
Boston Area
I tightened one of my termovar flange nuts too tight and it broke. Is there any reason why I can't remove the flange completely and attach directly to the 1 1/2" threads on the termovar with a 1 1/2" female black steel fitting?

Those nuts are pretty cheap looking,I used the gaskets plus a coating of high temp RTV.no leaks now,I didn't dare tighten them too much.I don't know if the theads are the same or not.they need to have a taper in order to seal.If you install a union,you could always try it and see,that way if it doesn't seal you only have to open the union.Just a thought.

I just put on a 1 1/2" black fitting with tape and dope and opened the valves. So far so good!

TCaldwell said:
I have a termorvar valve, slightly used for sale if you need a spare for parts

I ended up ordering a nut from BioHeat for $5 as a backup in case my 1 1/2" black pipe fitting fails. Thanks for the offer.

Marc

Marc,

Is the 1-1/2" female black pipe still not leaking around the termovar?

Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.