Broken piece attaching flue collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snipedangles

Oct 27, 2020
Massachusetts
I bought an old VC Resolute. The bolts in the back to the flue collar and extension were corroded or cemented on. Could not apply any torque without stripping the head. I ended up having to drill out, but the screw forced the bit off a straight path. I tapped in new threads; due to the odd path, it left little room to edge of stove, and a piece broke off. I can get the flue collar tight, but it still worries me. Is this safe?
E88B6639-5F92-4C60-BDBF-8AFD19517315.jpeg

That looks pretty tenuous. It's going to need reinforcement.

That looks pretty tenuous. It's going to need reinforcement.
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of putting a nut/washer and cementing. Bad idea?

Bumped into a Resolute II for $500. Considering I have to buy a flue collar extension ($138) and the broken piece I am contemplating buying that. Though I like the Resolute I look (top griddle)