BT Spring Buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather Buy 4 tons of Barefoots at 269 from my local vendor then give a cent more to any oil company. It stays right in my community which is way better IMHO.

Harman Lover 007 said:
Lousyweather said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Doesn't look like much of a deal to buy now. Thats why it's good to have a stash so you can wait it out and see where prices go. I for one would not pay any of Pelletdirects prices.

yea, we hear the sabre rattling alot, and it always comes down to the personal choice of "buy now, KNOW what your price is, and KNOW you have product stored for the season", OR, "maybe the price will go down, and wait"........but, as jay said, its shaping up to be a 2008 year, and I agree. Remember what happened in 2008? Prices screamed up in the mid to latter part of summer, and availability was nil. So, I guess the question woulf be "could that happen again?" Time will tell, I guess. Do you folks really think there is alot of downside to buying now? Really? You think youre going to save oodles of money by waiting? I think there is ALOT of downside to waiting, the main two being price and supply. I only hope that the people who elected not to buy soon have the cojones to come back in the fall and say they were wrong. I will if I am wrong.....tho I havent been yet.

There's a whole bunch of us here who already have what we need for next year. We already saved money, some of us nearly $100 per ton. We are in the enviable position of looking at the Spring Buys and making our own decisions based on what's best for us. The best part is, we don't have to buy, but we can.....and some of us will.

but you folks "who are all set" are not the people I am talking about at all....its the folks who are bingo (or nearly so) who have to make the decision to buy this year......will it be pellets, oil, propane, wood, coal, etc? Of course, the people who have their 2011 supplies secured will still enter the market next year.......wonder what the price will be then? As for a "whole bunch" of you who do plan ahead and stockpile, I submit its a VERY miniscule percentage of the pellet users...almost insignificant, in fact.

Balls of Fire makes a good point though, among many. The pellet supply cant instantly expand to meet needs over and above whats estimated.....its a long supply chain......additional raw material needs to be harvested, mills have to secure raw material, make pellets, truck the pellets to the store, etc, prior to the end user getting them (and thats if the pellet mill has any more production capacity!). Some years there is an oversupply, and you see the prices drop.....its the OTHER years us pellet sellers worry about.....where there is more demand than supply. I also agree with BoF in that sales have been "very brisk". We love the business too, but hate to lose opportunity in the second half of the year if pellets are unavailable or available at ridiculous cost.

If I had no pellets than I would buy now. But since I have a whole season's worth I am going to wait.
If prices sky rocket then I can wait it out. If they drop I will reload. I know it is not feasible for everyone but I think that you should always have a supply on hand. A luxury oil and propane heat does not allow. I really think that prices will be close to what they are today.

Lousyweather said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
Lousyweather said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Doesn't look like much of a deal to buy now. Thats why it's good to have a stash so you can wait it out and see where prices go. I for one would not pay any of Pelletdirects prices.

yea, we hear the sabre rattling alot, and it always comes down to the personal choice of "buy now, KNOW what your price is, and KNOW you have product stored for the season", OR, "maybe the price will go down, and wait"........but, as jay said, its shaping up to be a 2008 year, and I agree. Remember what happened in 2008? Prices screamed up in the mid to latter part of summer, and availability was nil. So, I guess the question woulf be "could that happen again?" Time will tell, I guess. Do you folks really think there is alot of downside to buying now? Really? You think youre going to save oodles of money by waiting? I think there is ALOT of downside to waiting, the main two being price and supply. I only hope that the people who elected not to buy soon have the cojones to come back in the fall and say they were wrong. I will if I am wrong.....tho I havent been yet.

There's a whole bunch of us here who already have what we need for next year. We already saved money, some of us nearly $100 per ton. We are in the enviable position of looking at the Spring Buys and making our own decisions based on what's best for us. The best part is, we don't have to buy, but we can.....and some of us will.

but you folks "who are all set" are not the people I am talking about at all....its the folks who are bingo (or nearly so) who have to make the decision to buy this year......will it be pellets, oil, propane, wood, coal, etc? Of course, the people who have their 2011 supplies secured will still enter the market next year.......wonder what the price will be then? As for a "whole bunch" of you who do plan ahead and stockpile, I submit its a VERY miniscule percentage of the pellet users...almost insignificant, in fact.

Balls of Fire makes a good point though, among many. The pellet supply cant instantly expand to meet needs over and above whats estimated.....its a long supply chain......additional raw material needs to be harvested, mills have to secure raw material, make pellets, truck the pellets to the store, etc, prior to the end user getting them (and thats if the pellet mill has any more production capacity!). Some years there is an oversupply, and you see the prices drop.....its the OTHER years us pellet sellers worry about.....where there is more demand than supply. I also agree with BoF in that sales have been "very brisk". We love the business too, but hate to lose opportunity in the second half of the year if pellets are unavailable or available at ridiculous cost.

I don't feel the need to go point, counterpoint with you here. What I'm trying to say is in Jan, Feb and Early March, the big box stores here in the NorthEast went crazy with a price war that was WELL documented in this forum. The price of oil, gas, and propane (not NG, it's cheap here in the Northeast) were spiraling upward. Understanding that many can't store the quantities that some of us can, very few should have missed out on that opportunity during that timeframe. JMHO. I still plan to buy some pellets from my local pellet supplier but have the luxury of watching how the pricing shakes out.

will definitely be interesting, thats for sure....stay tuned!

Parcero2012 said:
I would rather Buy 4 tons of Barefoots at 269 from my local vendor then give a cent more to any oil company. It stays right in my community which is way better IMHO.
Well hold on to your hats cause that $269 might not be that far off from what I hear.

The price of pellets is going up... I can't see it going down or staying the same... just can't, unless hho magically falls to under 2.50 a gallon....
Transportation costs alone should make prices go up...
I hope I am wrong
But, look at the box stores... at 187-209 it was a steal 300 no way but those that bought at 187-209 are smiling...
Now if I buy okies at 235 a ton and they are the same price or 225 this winter ...Ahhh big deal piece of mind
If I don't and they are 275 I will be pissed ... does anyone here think that any of the super brands have a better chance of being much cheaper?
Barefoots in our part will Prolly never be under 225 and I would argue 245-250 but if this is 08 again we know they will be around 300+ a ton .
If you can afford it, and need pellets buy at least half now..
Or get on buddy system... go half with a friend .. that's what we are starting over here many people might not have all the money in hand

Ill be pre buying this month. Most of my closest dealers, BT etc have their buys starting next week or two.

A ton in hand is better than Two @ the dealer :)

iron stove said:
Ill be pre buying this month. Most of my closest dealers, BT etc have their buys starting next week or two.

Lmao! That's a good one!

Just Had Some More Spring Quotes for April from a local vendor in Westchester County NY.

239 NEWP
239 CURAN ** NEVER HEARD OF THAT BRAND

275 CUBEX
275 OKANAGAN

IS NEWP EVEN WORTH A TRY CONSIDERING ALL THE BAD REVIEWS LATELY.

Has anybody ever used Curan?

iceman said:
iron stove said:

Lmao! That's a good one!

Funny! :)

All I know is the 4 tons I am sitting on sure looks better in my basement than any where else. I would be real sad if they were somewhere else when the price starts to climb.

Still trying to stuff in some more too! I'm sick I tell ya!

I will be ordering 4 Tons Of The Barefoot's Tomorrow, I really don't like to sit, wait and speculate on wood and oil futures. Hopefully the price will drop and I will stock up on even more...

2 Barefoot, 2 Turman and 2.6 Okies coming Saturday April 9th.
$1540 delivered and stacked 2 pallets high in my barn. SAFE, DRY AND ALL MINE. SoooooSexy!

Yeah part of the fun is speculation. I just hope we are all right more than we
Are wrong. I talked to a dealer a while back and asked how stove sales were considering
The rise in oil. To my surprise he said low citing the ecomomy is holding people
Back from making that large of an investment. So I think demand will be relatively flat while supply will grow. Offsetting the increase in oil prices.

johnnycomelately said:
2 Barefoot, 2 Turman and 2.6 Okies coming Saturday April 9th.
$1540 delivered and stacked 2 pallets high in my barn. SAFE, DRY AND ALL MINE. SoooooSexy!
nice .... where did you buy them from

Another thing to keep in mind when comparing now to 2008 was supply/demand. In 2008 demand skyrocketed and people who normally wouldn't have a pellet stove bought one. I know because I was one of them. Since that time, many of those people who bought pellet stoves looking to save have left the market. They realized that owning a pellet stove was more work than they thought and just sold the stove. Also in that time, more mills have come on line and more stores/dealers are stocking pellets.

Personally I don't see prices changing all that much from now until fall, I just dont. I also think that if oil shoots up again, it will only be temporary as it will stall out/crash our economy...AGAIN!

I'm one of the 2008 people :X

Of course, it was also the year after i purchased my first house (can't put a stove in a condo)

Oil will overall trend up.
peep the graphs. Take out the spike, and it's a nice steady gradual climb.

Adding in the maroon line in paint, you can easily see the 5 year flat trend.
The green is what may actually happen, but its still going to average out to that growing price trend.

Attachments

• oil.png
    oil.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 173
Oil @ 108.07 right now. Going to be a TOUGH summer :(

I'm one of the 2008 people, I bought my stove in may right after I got my oil prebuy price of $4.95/gal. It was going to cost me well over $2500 to heat my little house of 1100 sq ft in the winter-not to mention have hot water and stoves to cook on.

I'm so glad I put the pellet stove in though, I have save at least the cost of the stove in the 3 seasons I have had it.

j-takeman said:
iceman said:
iron stove said:

Lmao! That's a good one!

Funny! :)

All I know is the 4 tons I am sitting on sure looks better in my basement than any where else. I would be real sad if they were somewhere else when the price starts to climb.

Still trying to stuff in some more too! I'm sick I tell ya!

But not as sick as some of us :sick: see I'm even green around the gills.

So after all that I got the Spring buy from another local dealer and I am going to purchase a ton of Maine Woods for $240. Seems like a pretty good price compared to whats out there. Hedging my bet a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.