Bug screen for OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I had an Englander PU-OAK that was missing the clamps and bug screen and outside weather hood.
See ESW OAK manual here > http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/PU-OAK_Info.pdf

I know auto parts stores have radiator clamps so that was easy. One for 2 inch hose works fine.

I called England Stove Works and they do not sell the parts separate except $30.00 for the 2" aluminum flex pipe. A new kit is $60.58 ! !

So I went to the hardware store and found some round 2" inch soffit vents with a bug screen for $2.59

Took it home and with some long nose plyers I pushed the nipple in that holds it into the wooden soffit.
Then pushed it into the OAK outside flange. It fits perfect, then using high temp RTV, I can seal it in.

Then clamp on hose and Bingo it works!

The outside weather hood is not really needed with this soffit vent that has louvers on it.

See pics below:

Attachments

• Bug screen for OAK?
    OAKBugScreen (1).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Bug screen for OAK?
    OAKBugScreen (2).jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Bug screen for OAK?
    OAKBugScreen (3).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Bug screen for OAK?
    OAKBugScreen (4).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Bug screen for OAK?
    PU-OAK.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 287
Area of the louvers seems small for proper air flow....hope a small leaf or a couple blades of grass don't stick onto it while the stove's running.

Area of the louvers seems small for proper air flow....hope a small leaf of a couple blades of grass don't stick onto it while the stove's running.

There are just stones behind the shed but I could cut out some louvers?

If I could get some sort of bolt on weather hood like the one I am missing from the kit, then I could cut out all the louvers?

Any ideas?

There are just stones behind the shed but I could cut out some louvers?

If I could get some sort of bolt on weather hood like the one I am missing from the kit, then I could cut out all the louvers?

Any ideas?

There may just be stones behind the shed, but leaves, grass, snow, etc, etc, have been known to move around a lot during windy days.

Is there any screen material behind the louvers? If so, just tin-snip all the louvers out.

As for the "hood" that you're missing, any thin piece of sheet metal would work. I'm sure you could make one just by looking at the pic you have above of the Englander kit.

There may just be stones behind the shed, but leaves, grass, snow, etc, etc, have been known to move around a lot during windy days.

Is there any screen material behind the louvers? If so, just tin-snip all the louvers out.

As for the "hood" that you're missing, any thin piece of sheet metal would work. I'm sure you could make one just by looking at the pic you have above of the Englander kit.

Yes, there is a nice bug screen behind the louvers, that is why I got it!

I will see what I can get for a hoodie, It seems now that I have till next fall before I need it. :-(

or you could order on from Englander?

Attachments

• Bug screen for OAK?
    2inchFreshAirHoodra.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 172

Attachments

• Bug screen for OAK?
    USstove69FAK.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 182
Hello

I contacted US Stove about purchasing a separate weather hood and got this email below:

Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:00:39 AM

You can contact Simpson Duravent @ 1-800-835-4429 or Metalfab @ 1-800-835-2830. We only sell the complete kit.

My Original Question
> Can I buy the weather hood in the 69FAK outside air kit?

Hello

Well, I tried Duravent. See return email.

Subject: RE: WeatherHood for Outside Air Kit (OAK) for Wood pellet Stove Air Intake.

Don,

When I asked someone else to look at it, we determined this is not our kit. Our kit would have labels on all the pieces clearly marking M&G Duravent PelletVent as the product line. If you got this from US Stove, they would have to be the ones to sell you this piece. As far as we can tell, it is not our product.

So I left a message at MetalFab and sent a pic. Waiting to see what they say!
http://www.mtlfab.com/contacts.php

Hello

Well Marcus at MetalFab does not sell any OAK kits or parts!

Sent:
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:36:42 PM
Subject: RE: WeatherHood for Outside Air Kit (OAK) for Wood pellet Stove 2" Air Intake?

Don,

Unfortunately we have nothing smaller than 3" diameter pellet vent pipe and do not currently offer a product that is similar or comparable to what you are needing.

So I sent email back to Kimberly at US Stove!

A small piece of light gauge steel is all you need to make your own? One little bend and 2 small screws to put it on... And even a little dap of silicone/sealant to seal the screw holes (fully complete).

An old piece of aluminum siding? Or may even be able to use a pop can? Its only to stop the weather.

I could make something nicer in about 20 minutes and custom paint it, to match the house siding or shutters... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.