Building hearth for PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snowbound

Oct 29, 2016
New Hampshire
I am having a PE Summit install in November.
I have some questions after researching the forums.

Company who sold me the stove told me I need two layer of Micore 300.

In my area I can only find Hardiebacker cement board and not Durock. Will Hardiebacker cement board be ok?

On top of my two layers of Micore 300 is 1/2 hardiebacker cement board sufficient to support a PE Summit or should I go with two layers of 1/2 hardie backer cement board?

If not I can only find 2 1/4 cement board screws . Two layer of Micore 300 at 1/2 and two layer of 1/2 cement board is 2 inch, I am afraid 2 1/4 is too small?

What should I do? Use regular 3 inch construction type screws?

Last question, I am a lil nervous because the Micore 300 board are really soft. How can this support a PE Summit on top of cement board. It just doesn’t seem solid to me.

Thanks everyone.

I'm not sure why they told you that. The Summit only requires an ember protection hearth. Two layers of micore is some serious insulation. I can only think of a couple of stoves that need that level of protection. A sheet of metal or tile on cementboard is sufficient for the Summit.

I must admit the guy look like new employee and did not look sure himself.

I already have one sheet of micore I cut. So I am thinking one layer of micore and two layer of cement board.

I am installing hard wood floor also around it so I want to have the stove a lil higher than wood floor. Is hardie backer good for hearth no Durock around here?

What about the weight of summit on micore and cement board? Will the micore be ok weight wise?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too bad, but no harm. One layer of 1/2" Durock on the micore is sufficient. Will there be tile on top of that?

Wow, that's what I did for my first stove, which had no back tag and therefore needed max protection.

I ended up using one .5 inches layer of micore 300 and one .5 inches layer of durock. I found a dealer near me. I used 2 1/4 cement board screws.

1571180056036.jpeg

Used 1/2" 300 Micore here with Durock over top & slate over that.
You have plenty. Dealer knows jack shitzky.