Burning balsam fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tadmaz

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
I've been doing some research, most folks have great success burning softwoods with or without a cat. Mostly pine and spruce are mentioned. What about balsam fir? It seems incredibly sappy. Dripping when split. I realize it's low on the BTU's\cord. Just season it well and don't worry about it, or does anyone have concerns?

I've been doing some research, most folks have great success burning softwoods with or without a cat. Mostly pine and spruce are mentioned. What about balsam fir? It seems incredibly sappy. Dripping when split. I realize it's low on the BTU's\cord. Just season it well and don't worry about it, or does anyone have concerns?

See highlighted portion.

I burn a bit from time to time . . . it's by no means my "go to wood", but I've burned it along with pine, spruce and hemlock . . . mostly in the shoulder seasons.

Reactions: Cast Iron
Just like most softwoods. No problems.

I believe that all natural wood is good wood for burning as long as you let it dry.

Does anyone know of any natural wood (not creosote soaked railroad ties) that is actually a problem?

Good fire starter, generally a PITA to split as there are a lot of ingrown branches unless its big. It needs to be stored under cover as it like to rot quick. Great for campfires as it burns hot and has that nice crackle and pop folks like. You burn what you got and rather than let if rot might as well but its plan on short fast fires that require a lot of tending.

I believe that all natural wood is good wood for burning as long as you let it dry.

Does anyone know of any natural wood (not creosote soaked railroad ties) that is actually a problem?

I know that poisonous wood such as sumac as dangerous to burn, as is wood with residual poison ivy on it. Driftwood is bad due to salt causing corrosion of stove and chimney. There may be others that I’m not aware of.

Reactions: Highbeam
I know that poisonous wood such as sumac as dangerous to burn, as is wood with residual poison ivy on it. Driftwood is bad due to salt causing corrosion of stove and chimney. There may be others that I’m not aware of.

Good ones!

I burned some last year as it was free. Gets really light when dry, lights easy, burns fast, and crackle/pops. Didn't notice any problems with my stove. I'd burn it again for free but I wouldn't seek it out for purchase.

This wood doesn't burn so well. It just sits there like. . . well . . . a rock. ;) :)

Attachments

• 200px-PetrifiedWood.jpg
    200px-PetrifiedWood.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: Highbeam