burning corn cobs in multi fuel stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman1776

Dec 19, 2010
central illinois
I was at rual king the other day and they had a display of ground corn cobs there was an open bag they were about 1/4 inch chuncks. Not like the fine ground ones I put into my parrot cage. they were bout the size of wood pellet anyone every try to burn them ? they were cheap 3.29 for 100 lbs.

Some of us on here (J-Takeman, Schoondog, and myself), have burned grass pellets and coffee pellets in our multifuelers, and Snowy burns nutshells in her stoves, so I'd have no problem trying ground corn cobs.....too bad there aren't any Rural Kings around here.

If they made decent heat, $66/ton is pretty darn cheap. Why don't you get some and give it a shot? Is your stove a multi-fueler?

I googled corn cob pellets. Do they look like this. Also known as corn cob bedding.

Attachments

• corn-cob-picture_bmp_862_628.png
    corn-cob-picture_bmp_862_628.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,811
the stuff that had was bigger pieces not ground so fine but yes ground corn cobs they use them for bedding they also use wood pellets for bedding also but they cost more then the ones for burning. I looked at those too just look like reg wood pellets. Yes my stove is a multi fuel stove. I grab a bag when i go back there post a pic of it. Even if i do not burn them I have a good stock for the bottom of the parrot cage.

wingman1776 said:
the stuff that had was bigger pieces not ground so fine but yes ground corn cobs they use them for bedding they also use wood pellets for bedding also but they cost more then the ones for burning. I looked at those too just look like reg wood pellets. Yes my stove is a multi fuel stove. I grab a bag when i go back there post a pic of it. Even if i do not burn them I have a good stock for the bottom of the parrot cage.

At that price worth a try. Let us know

wingman1776 said:
I was at rual king the other day and they had a display of ground corn cobs there was an open bag they were about 1/4 inch chuncks. Not like the fine ground ones I put into my parrot cage. they were bout the size of wood pellet anyone every try to burn them ? they were cheap 3.29 for 100 lbs.

So these were meant for burning in a multi fuel stove?

If they are not compressed, are the heavy enough to stay in the burn put and burn? Second, if you have a pellet stove, you have a wood pellet stove. If you have a multi-fuel stove like those mentioned above, you can try..........

Status
Not open for further replies.