Burning wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1. I like the activity of making and storing wood.
2. More economical than my electric heat.

I burn for heat first, dealing with wood 2nd, and 3rd saving a lot of money. Plus its steady heat you can feel.

Reactions: Itslay90
Because it grows on trees.

I find the sight and warmth of a wood fire boosts my mood during the winter months. It's really dark and dismal without it. Plus it does cut down on my gas and electric use.

I find more enjoyment than expected in the preparation factor. Getting free logs (mostly from marketplace ads), processing them and seeing the nice wood pile dry out in anticipation of future use just has that "self sufficiency" satisfaction in it. I'm retired, so this is just one more way to stay active, while not being in a hurry. Then there is the nice warm fire (and getting it going) that brings it's own sense of joy. Producing heat that I'd otherwise have to pay for is just an added bonus.

I don't want to burn oil.
I love the heat and when it is 80F or higher in the woodstove room in the dead of winter.
I like temperature fluctuations in the house.
I love the chainsaw and splitting wood is good for my back, strength, endurance, and hand eye coordination.
I'm a pyro.
I love watching the flames, better than TV.
I love how it puts you to sleep, great for insomniacs.

Reactions: weee123
Agree with everyone's reasons.

Reactions: Diabel and Itslay90
Warmth
Exercise
Cooking
Self-sufficiency
Connection to the past
Watching the fire calms me

Just something calming about sitting by the fire, whether it be in the home, the firepit on our patio, or a campground.

I know today's wood stoves are more high tech but there's something about the simplicity and primitive nature of burning wood. Not just burning the wood, but all the work it takes to get to that point makes it very satisfying. Sitting in front of the fire is the reward and saving on the power bill is the bonus.

I find splitting and stacking it fun first and foremost. But it’s my main source of heat because my electric bill is so high without it (~$600/mo during winter with no stove)