Busy day yesterday....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Day started out at 5:30am with a quick breakfast, by 6:20 the saws were singing on our first job....

We dropped 7 mature trees at that job. Guy wanted to buck them himself. Three huge white oaks (30" diameter at the base, 70' tall with full crowns), two large red maples (50', 20" diameter), a 60' black cherry and the largest black birch I have ever plunged a saw into (50', 24" diameter)! The bad news was the guy wanted all the wood....:eek::( The second pic below was the black birch (it's laying on the ground in the pic), the black cherry, and a red maple.

2013-07-13_07-42-25_911.jpg 2013-07-13_07-42-31_973.jpg

But that's OK, we were in and out in just over an hour doing all those trees, ended up putting them all exactly where we wanted them. The next job was two technical red maples, right against a garage. One was dead and perfectly straight (around 60'), the other was living and around 50', but it was leaning waaaay out over the garage). So I had to go up both trees, rig the tops and piece them down....

2013-07-13_12-08-06_872.jpg

didn't get many pictures, I was on my own on the second job. but all went well.....ended up with a nice load of red maple to bring home......

That puts me at 10 trees for the week (did a big blue spruce the other night, no pics on that one). Just gettin' started on the tree work for the summer, we've got lots of wood to cut!!

Sounds like a nice day to me! Smart of you to get an early start before the heat kicks in, but yesterday probably wasn't too bad where you are.

Reactions: PapaDave
Sounds like a nice day to me! Smart of you to get an early start before the heat kicks in, but yesterday probably wasn't too bad where you are.
well the morning temps weren't too bad (mid 70's) but the dewpoint was probably around 76 degrees, and the humidity was in the 90 percent area......I was soaked within 20 minutes of cutting. It was very oppressive yesterday, even though the sun didn't come out until late afternoon.......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm tired, and all I did was read about it.>>
How's the house coming along?;)
real good, bud! All i have left to do is a couple of pieces of baseboard trim and the tile in the entryway. I have to pick up my custom cabinets today (hour drive each way) and need to install the one in the living room before i can finish the baseboard trim. Ive been waiting for a dry day to finish the final coat of spar on the entry door before i can put that tile down but we havent had any dry air days in WEEKS around here!

Getting a lot of work done, Scotty. This hot weather and high humidity is enough to take the drive out of anybody. Don't know how you do it? Never thought I'd say it, but I almost cannot wait for the heating season. I'm actually getting excited about it. Looked at some wood I still have to stack and thought how much I wished it was a nice fall day. Crazy, huh?

Reactions: ScotO
well the morning temps weren't too bad (mid 70's) but the dewpoint was probably around 76 degrees, and the humidity was in the 90 percent area......I was soaked within 20 minutes of cutting. It was very oppressive yesterday, even though the sun didn't come out until late afternoon.......

Humidity wasn't too bad here yesterday, at least not in the morning, but a couple days ago it was murder. I was sweating just taking the dogs for a walk! Good work Scotty! Hope you get a dry day to work on the house this week!

Great work Scotty, the heat is coming this week so be careful out there...
I know you like climbing but what about using a cherry picker, that's how they all do it around here...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Great work Scotty, the heat is coming this week so be careful out there...
I know you like climbing but what about using a cherry picker, that's how they all do it around here...
Ha! Ask an Arborist that question.... And be ready to duck/run. ;lol Climbing is sacred to many of them. Equal parts art and skill.

Ha! Ask an Arborist that question.... And be ready to duck/run. ;lol Climbing is sacred to many of them. Equal parts art and skill.
Yeah, I love climbing....it makes you have to use your brain when cutting......
But, we've got a couple of jobs coming up where we'll be using the bucket.....just too risky to do it any other way at those two jobs...

There definitely are jobs where using the bucket makes more sense but I can also appreciate the climbing. Once you do it, climbing just won't leave you. Folks around here and relatives do not think I should be climbing trees even for hunting. Ha! The view is better from up there....but I won't wear my climbers! ;)

Good work Scotty.
Good the guy wanted the wood or
you'd have your year's quota done by now & have to stop :eek:

(taking the wood home that is ) :)

There definitely are jobs where using the bucket makes more sense but I can also appreciate the climbing. Once you do it, climbing just won't leave you. Folks around here and relatives do not think I should be climbing trees even for hunting. Ha! The view is better from up there....but I won't wear my climbers! ;)
I'm the same way, Sav.....I LOVE being high up in a tree during deer season....you get to see a lot more, not to mention I usually get comfy and fall asleep with the sounds and smells of the forest (yes, I wear my safety harness).....

Reminds me, I better start doing some shootin' - Nothing beats being in a tree at dawn!

Good job getting them down safe, Scotty.

Status
Not open for further replies.