Buy new economy or used Lopi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eliza and mica

Nov 28, 2021
Western NC
Hi folks! We’ve been learning a lot and appreciating all the info and opinions shared here as we get ready to install a wood stove in our manufactured 1,700 sqft home as our sole source of heat. After much research and deliberation, we have landed upon purchasing either a used lopi endeavor manufactured 1999 and used in two previous homes ($800), or purchasing a new economy stove. Likely the englander 15-w03 or 06. It is really hard to find good seasoned wood here and we only have 1 cord of dry seasoned wood + another cord of partially seasoned wood. So while we would like to have a super efficient stove we are cautious because of the need to only burn super dry seasoned wood for them to burn well and not be smoky.

Wondering y’alls thoughts on an endeavor thats now past the 20 year mark (seems to be in good condition, recently replaced door gasket) … also read about how this 15-w line of Englanders are new to the market and reviews are mixed. We would like to buy a drolet but they are out of stock at home depot and a company in canada has them but its a $200 delivery fee which places it out of our price range. We need a manufactured home approved wood stove which narrows our range quite a bit. Thanks for any and all advice!

This place sells drolet and ships free in canada and USA

A common issue in manufactured homes is a short flue system. If it's under 15' total height it can lead to poor stove performance for some models. Drolet and True North stoves will work ok on a shorter stack and are worth considering if this is the case.

I've owned an endeavor since late 2015.
You are correct regarding the DRY wood.
I'll say it is a very well made stove.
Good luck!

A common issue in manufactured homes is a short flue system. If it's under 15' total height it can lead to poor stove performance for some models. Drolet and True North stoves will work ok on a shorter stack and are worth considering if this is the case.
Thanks! We are building a new chimney and moving it into the center of the house, as it was only a fireplace chimney before and not double insulated.

I’m really curious on whether y’all think a 20 year old Lopi is a better find than a new englander of the timber ridge / 15-w / 50-w models.

A friend uses his 25 yr old Endeavor almost daily to heat his wood shop. It's a well-made and reliable stove. The only repair he has made has been to replace the burn tubes. The early Endeavors had steel tubes which would burn out over time. The replacement tubes are stainless and should last a very long time. He put them in 11 yrs ago and they look good still. His stove is on a 15' straight up flue system.

The Englander will want a 15' flue. I mentioned the Drolet or True North stoves because they will work on a shorter setup.

A friend uses his 25 yr old Endeavor almost daily to heat his wood shop. It's a well-made and reliable stove. The only repair he has made has been to replace the burn tubes. The early Endeavors had steel tubes which would burn out over time. The replacement tubes are stainless and should last a very long time. He put them in 11 yrs ago and they look good still. His stove is on a 15' straight up flue system.

The Englander will want a 15' flue. I mentioned the Drolet or True North stoves because they will work on a shorter setup.
Thanks so much!

I own two Lopi stoves - an Answer and a Republic 1750. They are solidly built stoves and stand up well to use. They could use replacement of a couple of cracked fire bricks, but otherwise have been problem free.