Buying a Blaze King Tomorrow...help me decide which one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I also am not going to rely on the customer to have all of the needed parts. And if something is missing then who pays for the lost days work waiting for parts?

nobody wants to deal with customer supplied parts for an install, so maybe that will motivate them to cut some of their margin off.

Yar, it's a motivational bargaining tactic. Could backfire though, because for example the dealer I used subcontracts everything out and doesn't have any real reason to care how the install goes.

Yar, it's a motivational bargaining tactic. Could backfire though, because for example the dealer I used subcontracts everything out and doesn't have any real reason to care how the install goes.
I somehow missed the part you said about no one wanting to use costumer supplied parts. Sorry. And it rarely hurts to try negotiating. Many times it will make no difference though.

We love our Dr. Seuss stoves. The ash pan adds a bit to the looks.....and we have the option on 2 of the 3 stoves we own (2 Parlors, 1 Classic)....but I've never used it. LOL. It's easier to me to just scoop the ashes out from the front than digging for the plug.

Not that we bought any of them for LOOKS....though we're weird 'cus we think they look fine. It's a wood stove. It keeps us very warm. If someone doesn't like the way they look they are more than welcome to go back outside in the cold. End of story.

Good luck with your purchase.
Yes, the ashplug can be hard to find if you never use it. Without trying very hard it can take all of 2 seconds to snag it...

Ah, that makes sense. I think I'm convinced to go with the Dr. Seuss model; wife says it'll be easier to clean under.

I've had both pedestal and leg stoves. Cleaning under a pedestal stove is much easier because you don't do it! The leg models create an area where dust and stuff accumulate.

Stove height. Taller is better. Heck, my bk ultra is up on a 10" hearth to add height. My nc30 is on an 18" tall hearth.

Finally ash drawers. You don't have to use it if it's there. You are welcome to shovel ashes out of any stove regardless of whether there is an ash pan system. Maybe use the empty ash bin to cook potatoes? Hide your cash?

After that install charge you may be short on cash, holy heck 2200$!!!

I've had both pedestal and leg stoves. Cleaning under a pedestal stove is much easier because you don't do it! The leg models create an area where dust and stuff accumulate.

Stove height. Taller is better. Heck, my bk ultra is up on a 10" hearth to add height. My nc30 is on an 18" tall hearth.

Finally ash drawers. You don't have to use it if it's there. You are welcome to shovel ashes out of any stove regardless of whether there is an ash pan system. Maybe use the empty ash bin to cook potatoes? Hide your cash?

After that install charge you may be short on cash, holy heck 2200$!!!

Well...$1,650 after the discount [emoji2]

It kills me to pay for something Hong that I can probably do myself, but it's a raging fire in my home...the peace of mind factor of having a pro perform the installation is worth quite a bit.

Well...$1,650 after the discount [emoji2]

It kills me to pay for something Hong that I can probably do myself, but it's a raging fire in my home...the peace of mind factor of having a pro perform the installation is worth quite a bit.

Ah fear. Are you not getting a permit with inspection? Hate to tell you but pro installers can make serious mistakes too. The one time I hired out an install, the pro did not respect minimum clearances between the chimney and the rafters. Could have burned my house down and killed us all!

On average, between pro install and permits with inspection, odds are in your favor.

Ah fear. Are you not getting a permit with inspection? Hate to tell you but pro installers can make serious mistakes too. The one time I hired out an install, the pro did not respect minimum clearances between the chimney and the rafters. Could have burned my house down and killed us all!

On average, between pro install and permits with inspection, odds are in your favor.

Yeah, I'm pulling a permit and building the chase/modifying current bump out to accommodate the stove, so I'll be sure all clearances are maintained.

Reactions: Highbeam
That is very unfair I have seen way more really scary diy installs then pro installs. Yes there are some bad pros out there but there are allot more guys that think they can do it better but have no clue what they are doing. I am by no means saying diy guys cant do a very good job but your generalization is not fair or accurate. And relying on the inspector generally is not the best idea either I have seen many serious violation missed by inspectors.

The fact is you have to know your own skill level and make a determination as to whether or not you can do it yourself if you have doubts hire a pro but check references ect to make sure they are reputable.

Reactions: webby3650
That is very unfair I have seen way more really scary diy installs then pro installs. Yes there are some bad pros out there but there are allot more guys that think they can do it better but have no clue what they are doing. I am by no means saying diy guys cant do a very good job but your generalization is not fair or accurate. And relying on the inspector generally is not the best idea either I have seen many serious violation missed by inspectors.

The fact is you have to know your own skill level and make a determination as to whether or not you can do it yourself if you have doubts hire a pro but check references ect to make sure they are reputable.
Same here, I've seen some really scary stuff that was DYI. I've also seen dangerous installs that the inspector said was good to go...
One that comes to mind: stove pipe was upside down dripping creosote onto the stove top, chimney was disconnected from the ceiling box adaptor allowing creosote to build up in and around the ceiling box, non UL stove was 4" from the wall in a corner and had only a foot of hearth. The home inspector and theirinsurance company said it was good to go!!!!
They said the insurance guy even took measurements! What the hell was he measuring? They had been using it this way, only shut it down to switch out stoves.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
We do installs like this one nearly every single day. Labor is typically less than $500. A lot of the money is being made in the parts, no need for major mark up on labor...
also make sure that's a Stainless chase cover to go along with that $45 SS storm collar. What's with the 8" square storm collar?

We do installs like this one nearly every single day. Labor is typically less than $500. A lot of the money is being made in the parts, no need for major mark up on labor...
also make sure that's a Stainless chase cover to go along with that $45 SS storm collar. What's with the 8" square storm collar?

Wow, $500 is what you charge the client? We get a bit of the DC inflation effect here on labor; we're only a couple of miles from the infamous Loudoun County, with the highest median income per household in the country...and the tradesman tend to soak us accordingly.

Wow, $500 is what you charge the client? We get a bit of the DC inflation effect here on labor; we're only a couple of miles from the infamous Loudoun County, with the highest median income per household in the country...and the tradesman tend to soak us accordingly.
In that ballpark anyway. There's always some money to be made on parts. Well, not always... it's a sealed bid either way: elbows, more pipe, anything we run into. Same price that was quoted. The stores been open for 44 years or so, it's always worked out being fair.

Reactions: Rangerbait

You seem to have misunderstood. I was trying to say that a pro install that is permitted and inspected is usually a good install. This was a rare pro professional statement from me despite my 100% failure rate with professional installs.

In that ballpark anyway. There's always some money to be made on parts. Well, not always... it's a sealed bid either way: elbows, more pipe, anything we run into. Same price that was quoted. The stores been open for 44 years or so, it's always worked out being fair.

I'm going to get a second quote for the installation...when all is said and done, it's going to be about $5k between the parts and labor. The stove was a good price, but the install is almost twice what the damn stove costs.

You seem to have misunderstood. I was trying to say that a pro install that is permitted and inspected is usually a good install. This was a rare pro professional statement from me despite my 100% failure rate with professional installs.
That is not how I read it at all sorry for the misunderstanding. I will say that we rarely pull permits or have inspections done because there is no requirement to do so in most areas we work. But if you are in an area requiring permits and your installer wont get one that is a huge red flag.

What's with the 8" square storm collar?
Probably ventis they have one that goes over the support box then it can serve as an insulation shield. We use them pretty often.

It is all in how you price it. We charge quite a bit more for labor but probably don't mark up materials as much

Probably ventis they have one that goes over the support box then it can serve as an insulation shield. We use them pretty often.

It is all in how you price it. We charge quite a bit more for labor but probably don't mark up materials as much
Its called a storm collar though? The 8" square seems strange to me, the ceiling box would be 12" square for a 6" chimney.

Let me know when you open a Long Island branch and I'll buy my King from you. ;)

I actually drove though Indiana twice this week, didn't think to look you up though. :/

Its called a storm collar though? The 8" square seems strange to me, the ceiling box would be 12" square for a 6" chimney.
I beleive they still call it a storm. And it is 8" because it is for a king

I beleive they still call it a storm. And it is 8" because it is for a king
I see that about the king. It's the 8" square that I don't get. I assume it means 8" support box trim? That's really 14"? I've never installed a support box that didn't come with the trim.

I see that about the king. It's the 8" square that I don't get. I assume it means 8" support box trim? That's really 14"? I've never installed a support box that didn't come with the trim.
it is not trim it is collar that goes on to keep insulation out of the box. That way you dont need an additional insulation sheild. They call it 8" because it goes around 8" chimney. And they call it a storm collar because it looks like a storm collar it is just square on the bottom so it fits on the square support box.

it is not trim it is collar that goes on to keep insulation out of the box. That way you dont need an additional insulation sheild. They call it 8" because it goes around 8" chimney. And they call it a storm collar because it looks like a storm collar it is just square on the bottom so it fits on the square support box.
I see. That's a pretty cool option! We often don't have room for the attic insulation shield but the box won't reach the roof deck either.