Buying a Blaze King Tomorrow...help me decide which one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Esteemed wood burners,

I am ordering my new Blaze King King model tomorrow, and can't decide between the Classic and the Parlor model. The classic is the pedestal and the Parlor has the legs...what say y'all? 2ab146204d329c57e2207bde1ce061ec.jpgdba6a683f87c6661982fabdac197c6b8.jpg

I say go with the parlor. It looks a bit better than the classic. The classic was one of the ones i was looking at but the wife said no way to that.. she said it looks more like something that you would be putting laundry in.

Many would disagree but if looks is your only hang up, I like the looks of the Parlor. More "classic" than the classic.

Many would disagree with what tarzan? They are fantastic stoves without question but there is no way that anyone can say they are good looking. They go against just about every design principle I ever learned as far as the aesthetics go. I really wish bk would come out with a good looking big stove to match some of their other stoves that are visually appealing. If I had to choose I think the classic looks a little less bad.

Reactions: Babaganoosh
They're both ugly, but legs beat pedestal.

@bholler, no love for the Ashford 30? It's no King, but it is a big stove. Buy them in multiples, if too small!

no love for the Ashford 30? It's no King, but it is a big stove. Buy them in multiples, if too small!
Oh it is a beautiful stove without a doubt. And it is pretty big but not a king.

ultra is more square, best looking of the three. Parlor can have an ash pan, classic can't. I'd choose classic.

That's the most confusing response yet.

I'm sorry. I chose ultra and don't regret it, it's the best. Ultra, like ultimate but you only offered classic or parlor so given those choices you should first know that only the parlor has an ash pan option. Then, well, I don't like the parlor. Looks too Dr. Seussy to me.

The best part is that they all perform the same. Highly efficient with superb burn times.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I prefer the parlor version, but the floor tiles they got it sitting on, well, the Brady Bunch called and they want their flooring back.

I prefer the parlor version, but the floor tiles they got it sitting on, well, the Brady Bunch called and they want their flooring back.

More desert southwest than Brady Bunch, but the classic surely benefits from being photographed in a much nicer setting.

Is there some reason the ultra was omitted from your choices? It's a much nicer looking stove than the classic.

More desert southwest than Brady Bunch, but the classic surely benefits from being photographed in a much nicer setting.

Speaking of desert southwest, I've seen very nice looking homes with limited yard space out there that had rectangular air conditioning units sitting atop pitched roofs. Now that is definitely sacrificing aesthetic for comfort, IMO ofcourse!

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any beautiful heat pumps around either

Here's the quote for the stove + parts + installation. The discount for each line item is a result of an end of season sale...how do these prices look to y'all?

Quote.jpg

I'm sorry. I chose ultra and don't regret it, it's the best. Ultra, like ultimate but you only offered classic or parlor so given those choices you should first know that only the parlor has an ash pan option. Then, well, I don't like the parlor. Looks too Dr. Seussy to me.

The best part is that they all perform the same. Highly efficient with superb burn times.
Ah, that makes sense. I think I'm convinced to go with the Dr. Seuss model; wife says it'll be easier to clean under.

Reactions: ddddddden
I don't want the ash drawer, which there's no option to delete on the Ultra, and it's almost 2 inches taller than the Parlor; almost 5" taller than the classic.
I really appreciate the taller stoves. I don't like gettin down on the floor to load it. The ash drawer is one of my favorite things about the stove. It works well.

Here's the quote for the stove + parts + installation. The discount for each line item is a result of an end of season sale...how do these prices look to y'all?

View attachment 196469

The stove looks reasonable. Can't say about the labor. The rest of the parts appear to be at a 100% - 800% markup with a 15% "discount" tacked on to impress people who do not have access to google.

I would negotiate on that stuff. Send over a list of what prices you can get the parts for and offer to have the parts on site when the installers arrive- nobody wants to deal with customer supplied parts for an install, so maybe that will motivate them to cut some of their margin off there (they probably have plenty left on the install line anyway).

It could be that they won't budge because they think they have you on the hook already, but I think they have plenty of margin to negotiate in there.

We love our Dr. Seuss stoves. The ash pan adds a bit to the looks.....and we have the option on 2 of the 3 stoves we own (2 Parlors, 1 Classic)....but I've never used it. LOL. It's easier to me to just scoop the ashes out from the front than digging for the plug.

Not that we bought any of them for LOOKS....though we're weird 'cus we think they look fine. It's a wood stove. It keeps us very warm. If someone doesn't like the way they look they are more than welcome to go back outside in the cold. End of story.

Good luck with your purchase.

I would negotiate on that stuff. Send over a list of what prices you can get the parts for and offer to have the parts on site when the installers arrive- nobody wants to deal with customer supplied parts for an install, so maybe that will motivate them to cut some of their margin off there (they probably have plenty left on the install line anyway).
The quote does not specify brand so there is really no way to compare. The prices dont look to out of line to me if they are using premium components. The installation price looks pretty high but without knowing the details it is hard to say. And many pros including us will not install using provided materials. And at least for us it is not because we want to make the extra money on the parts it is because we don't want to be stuck installing parts that are not right or not good quality. I also am not going to rely on the customer to have all of the needed parts. And if something is missing then who pays for the lost days work waiting for parts?