Ca weather getting bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshif

1st of 3 or 4 storms onshore, mostly rain and 50mph winds so far but the power has already been out for 4 hours, Blizzard conditions due this afternoon so looks like a long weekend ahead with snow depth measured in feet, close to 10' predicted at the pass. So far the stove is keeping the house at 70 and the gen is purring along keeping the essentials running (yes the computer is an essential ) not looking forward to the clean up after

Good grief man, be safe. Stay warm and keep everything held together in one piece.

If you can, snap some photos for us, I'd like to see how bad it gets.

Thats what Im doing BG, pleanty of wood in the house and pleanty of propane in the tank. Dont think Im going anywhere for awhile as the road I live on inst plowed and a mile is just to far for the snowblower even if it wasnt to deep to blow. Life in the Sierra, I wouldnt have it any other way. The winds are pretty bad but Im pretty protected where Im at and my chimney is on the lee side of an 8:12 pitch so it should be ok .....I hope

Sounds like tunneling equipment might be of greater value than a plow :). I admire your preparations and hope your neighbors do as well. Do be careful, but enjoy the blizzard. It could be a record setter.

PS: Do you have a 15' snorkel on the generator exhaust? Make sure it can't accumulate CO indoors if you get deeply snowed in.

I was reading about this storm this morning....I kinda thought the weatherman got into the sauce or something. Sounds like a real doozer. Buckle down and if weather permits post some pics. Good luck.

Ill try to post some pics if I have the ba!!s to venture out into it. some times these local weather guys overstate things but so far they have been right on. Winds are wicked, cant beleive I havent seen any trees down yet. Only expecting 4-5' down here but thats enough to strand us for awhile. We will see what tonight holds when the Blizzard hits. So far the stove is holding its own easily with the 50mph winds and 38 temps.
Gen is located in its own enclosure outside with ample intake and exhaust should be fine with maybe a little shoveling.

Read this morning on NOAA that Tahoe City reported a 163 mph wind gust yesterday. Sounds more like a hurricane that's gone the wrong direction.

Yep it got a little breezy here, not that bad but gusts over 60mph, I was trully expecting to see 100' cedars being blown down. Not as much snow as they predicted but another foot or so due this afternoon and tonight with light winds of only 45mph.

well, when it's all said and done, sounds like you should have plenty of free wood to get after....

Only expecting 4-5' down here but thats enough to strand us for awhile.

:eek:hh: ...yeah..4'-5' aint even worth breakin' out the Road Commission plow truck or nuthin'...and on a totally different weather topic, LEVEE SYSTEMS IN ARIZONA?!?!?!?!!?!?. At some point people will realize that ma nature always wins.

Huh...one paper says Nevada...the NYT says Arizona. Meh, whatever.

Glad to hear things are better than predicted in Tahoe. That area is real cool. I thought Carson City was pretty cool as well. The drive from Carson up to Tahoe is about a pretty as i've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.