Cab 50 convection air fan issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chrisbeurr

Jan 3, 2018
Ohio
New here hoping for help. My cab 50 is a little over a year old and the convection air fan stopped working. So of course it is past the one year warranty. So here is my troubleshooting sequence... Snapdisk 1 changes state from open to about 1.5ohm at around 110F like it should. But I'm only seeing 28vac to ground coming from the control box to the input of the Snapdisk 1. I put 120vac to the convention air fan and it functions fine. All the other parts of the burner are working fine. Is the motor a variable speed motor based on high medium or low setting? Does it have different voltages it sees? What else can I check? The dealer said grounds but I only see a ground on the combustion fan. Open to suggestions thanks for any and all help

Your snap disc should go from open(off) to closed(on) nothing in between. Take both wires off the snap disc and connect with a paper clip and try the stove

Be careful as there is always power to the cov. fan. And could be bad connections on wires to fan. kap

The stove is running fine except for the convection fan. It does change state like I said. I tried jumpering out the Snapdisk. But the fan doesn't run because I'm only getting 28vac from the control box. I disconnected the wires and put 120vac to the fan and it ran fine. So I'm thinking it's the control box? Or a ground issue? But I have a surge protector on the unit so why would one connection in the control box fail or give a bad output?

It is variable with the low med.high setting. That runs all three motors. Control box, ground, or switch connections maybe. If you know someone with same stove, you can try control box in it. Or if dealer has equipment to check it, or a stove to try it in. kap

I wish that was an option. The dealer has been less than receptive to even answering my questions especially since it's out of warranty.

Sounds just like what i just went through, the same scenario with my pdvc. ill bet you have a bad triac and optoisolator on the board. Did you ck voltage at the board itself? The grey wire is your line in the white wire is your common 120vac. Check your voltage at pin 10 red wire and common (white). If you still get 28v you need a board

Im sorry i got the wrong color you want the purple next to that red. Old eyes and small lines on diagrams

Back in the day, it was two years on electrical for warranty. kap

The warranty is one year kap.

Thanks ssyko for some really good info... Gonna investigate that as soon as it warms up and im over this flu