CAB 50 problems! Newbie to self servicing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tmpnshmnt2000

Jan 4, 2018
Usa
New member and 1st post. Only joined to try to get some help. Service guy is about 2 weeks out so thought I might see if anybody has answers.

Cab 50 is a little over a year old and about a month ago started dropping pellets only until the blower kicked on and then stopped feeding. I noticed the fire would almost completely go out and sometimes on its own it would feed again until the flame got high then do the same thing. Other times it would just go out. It would not stay fully fed.
I cleaned it totally and dumped the external clean out which had some soot in it but not a whole lot. It was not an auger problem as it fed to ignition. It finally ran a couple times full force so I thought it was solved but last week started the same problem. And a couple days ago the auger stopped functioning. I pulled panels and checked snap discs but unsure of how they are reset. The button in the middle pushes a little but not popped out. Vacuum line is clear. Connections are tight.
I have to plug/unplug the unit because its in a garage where I am not present overnight and theres no need for it to run all night. The temp gets single digits to below zero.
When I arrived at 11am to plug it in this is what I've noticed: plug in, with panel off the control box flashes 2 blue lights intermittently, the box "power" light is also on, the reset button will interrupt this light. No green or red lights from it. Exhaust fan starts but thats it. Thermostat works to control box but nothing happens. No pellets.
Unit worked perfect last season and great starting this october.
Any help is appreciated

Try jumping the vac switch wires together, being careful not to ground it out on stove. If this starts auger, there are a number things that can be wrong. Door gasket not good, bad connections on vac wires, vac hose plugged, or nipple on drop tube is plugged where hose connects to. Exhaust is plugged. Either in stove or pipe. Use a mirror (small compact mirror works great) and a flashlight and look up drop chute to see if there is any bridging going on from long pellets. May have to pull auger to see if any pellets got past that spot and are jamming auger up at top. There will be no green or red lights till fire is going. Green light comes on when fire reaches 200*, and red one comes on when fire reaches 600* kap

I'll check the auger thoroughly today. How do i jump the vac wires? The door gasket is good, no exhaust blockage, no vac blockage. This thing used to, every single time on plugin, drop pellets to ignite. Even extremely dirty when i would forget to clean it sometimes. I pulled all pellets out and vacuumed the auger. I also shoved a wire up into the chute for sawdust. It just doesnt seem to be activated somewhere.

I make a jumper wire with spade connectors on it. About 4" long. Another thing I didn't think of, the newer stoves have a hopper switch that shuts off auger if hopper door is open. Don't know if the eco's have that. Sometimes the lid can get off a little and lose connection. And #2 snap disc shuts power off to auger motor if an over heat happens. You can try jumping it too, but do all jumping separate, so as to eliminate the problem. If you have a pen electric tester, you can trace where power is, and isn't. Just remember that on start up, it only feeds for 60 seconds. kap

So update, pulled auger. Cleaned, reassembled, snap discs checked out, vac hose clear, exhaust has no blockage, thermocouple cleaned, and hopper makes good contact. Everything looks good.
BUT AUGER STILL DOESN'T TURN after initial call for pellets by thermostat or by reset button. Im out of ideas and am not sure of how to use "jumpers" to test snap discs or vac switch. Please help!

Did you check the nipple the vac hose goes to on the drop chute? A stiff pc. of wire works. And make jumper wires about 6" long and put spade connectors on the ends that will push into the wire ends on discs and switches. Don't have to worry about shorting out then. And did you check to see if auger was turning? With hopper empty, it takes a while to get fuel to drop down chute. You can feel the auger parts in front of motor to see if it is turning, if you can't hear it. And lastly have control box tested. And always unplug stove before removing or installing a control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

I need some help too....sorry to jack your thread, but im having trouble posting my own. Hope someone can help.

My CAB50 isnt running correctly. The pellet auger isnt kicking in, but the fan inside (not the one that blows heat) is running constantly. I will admit, i tried to use a digital thermostat (a Honeywell T2 non-programmable thermostat) and when i hooked it up, it made the stove kick on, draw pellets, but the fan to blow the heat never came on.

Im hoping i didnt fry the board (?).

If anyone has a digital thermostat that they use, im all ears.

Help!