cabin built on slab.. how to cover the first layer of cinder block.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
Just bought a seasonal cabin up north in Maine. We will only be using it for 3 seasons, but there are a couple of things I am going to do first chance I get. It was built about 8 years ago. Walls are insulated and the interior looks like a normal home except for the first 8" that are showing the cinder block that was placed on top of the slab. Plus the floors are rugs and cement slab. I will be putting down a floating laminate floor but want to cover the concrete block first. Trying to incorporate some sort of 1" board foam insulation. Any ideas?

You will want something better than a 1/8" foam barrier under the laminate floor. Slabs really suck up room heat.

Post a couple of pictures of the detail.
Off grid or not?
What area of the state?

We have laid 1 1/2 in blue styrofoam on concrete slabs
then a floating wood or laminate over it with no problems
But if only in use 3 seasons 1/8 or 1/2 would be fine

Reactions: hockeypuck
We have laid 1 1/2 in blue styrofoam on concrete slabs
then a floating wood or laminate over it with no problems
But if only in use 3 seasons 1/8 or 1/2 would be fine
I would imagine if you tape the seams that would be considered a vapor barrier? Do you still put an underlayment cloth on top of that?

We use 1/2 lap foam with a bead of caulking between the lap joint.
lay a board 1x6 on joint the walk down the joint to spread out the caulking
and seal them together. no vapour barrier needed.
So manufactures want a wax paper under their floors if so use it
helps stop ant floor noises

for the block wall, unfortunately there is no silver bullet to cure what ails you. 2" foam would be better than 1", but then you have to deal with what to do with foam look.....can you raise the grade at all to get it down to 3-4" exposed? Is this for a cosmetic fix or insulation concern?

By the time you add foam and flooring, the distance from top of floor to bottom of sheetrock will be less. Maybe only 6". SUrely there is a baseboard that is tall enough to span it. The thickness of the sheetrock would be made up with 1/2" foam.

I have a lot of exposed slab in my home. The trick is that it is surrounded on three sides by 2" foam. We love the warm concrete.