Cable TV Next

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Internet access is one area where we still have only a few expensive choices and poor service. cant seem tpo find anything any good for less than $60 to $70 a month.

Ive had decent success pulling the old can you disconnect my service Im not willing to pay that much. Eventually I can get my bill lowered close to the introductory price. It takes a tremendous amount of patience though. Ive had to follow through on the threat once where I setup a cancellation date. Had to call back the day before the date and cancel my cancellation. Eventually I got my bill lowered a couple weeks later.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Ive had decent success pulling the old can you disconnect my service Im not willing to pay that much. Eventually I can get my bill lowered close to the introductory price. It takes a tremendous amount of patience though. Ive had to follow through on the threat once where I setup a cancellation date. Had to call back the day before the date and cancel my cancellation. Eventually I got my bill lowered a couple weeks later.

I tried that trick the last time. The first time they kept me at the introductory price for another six months or year and then when I received a notice it was going back up I went back to tell them to cancel my service due to the high cost . . . and this time they did . . . Oops . . . but it actually worked out fine anyways since we now get all of our TV OTA or through Netflix. Telephone service is provided through Ooma.

I tried that trick the last time. The first time they kept me at the introductory price for another six months or year and then when I received a notice it was going back up I went back to tell them to cancel my service due to the high cost . . . and this time they did . . . Oops . . . but it actually worked out fine anyways since we now get all of our TV OTA or through Netflix. Telephone service is provided through Ooma.

At least for me in Maine Time Warner/Spectrum does not block/encypt the OTA channels. So you get them for free if you pay for internet service. You can get them by scanning for new channels with a tuner on a TV. If you have Spectrum for internet its worth a try you may get a couple more stations.

At least for me in Maine Time Warner/Spectrum does not block/encypt the OTA channels. So you get them for free if you pay for internet service. You can get them by scanning for new channels with a tuner on a TV. If you have Spectrum for internet its worth a try you may get a couple more stations.

Hmmm . . . we actually do get TWC internet. Please describe in more detail how you would scan for these channels since we do not have any TWC devices hooked up to our TV or do we in fact need some device from TWC hooked to the TV?

Hmmm . . . we actually do get TWC internet. Please describe in more detail how you would scan for these channels since we do not have any TWC devices hooked up to our TV or do we in fact need some device from TWC hooked to the TV?

You hook the coax cable directly to your TV. Your tv most likely has a QAM tuner on it. There should be a menu on the TV that says "scan for channels" somewhere on it.

If it does find some stations youd have to get a splitter so you can use your internet still and perhaps a a/b switch so you can still get OTA stations.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Most providers are changing over from QAM to switched digital requiring some sort of a converter box. It hasn’t happened in all areas yet, but the day is coming that you can’t just plug in your tv and tune in digital signals off the cable even for basic service.
-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most providers are changing over from QAM to switched digital requiring some sort of a converter box. It hasn’t happened in all areas yet, but the day is coming that you can’t just plug in your tv and tune in digital signals off the cable even for basic service.
-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

that is the way comcast or xfinity has it here in mass. no box no tv. and it's 10 dollars a box rental every month

that is the way comcast or xfinity has it here in mass. no box no tv. and it's 10 dollars a box rental every month
There are so many cheaper internet based services available everywhere theres internet. You do need at least 5Mbs though for HD.

been thinkin bout these roku boxes. how does it work? don't know anyone with it so i can't ask. after the purchase is there any charges? does it take a lot of gig from internet service?

been thinkin bout these roku boxes. how does it work? don't know anyone with it so i can't ask. after the purchase is there any charges? does it take a lot of gig from internet service?

Just dumped Directv after 20 years and am saving $1,200 a year for just the basic package. Went with Amazon Fire Stick TV, like ROKU, for $35 one time each for three TVs. What you don't get is live TV, you pay extra for that, but yesterday is fine with me for the savings. Using it for youtube a lot of broadcast stuff is up there in two hours.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
how's the stick work remote with a menu?

You navigate with arrow buttons clicking on icons or show names with a select button. At least with the roku ones youll have a better experience with the more expensive models that have faster processors it navigates much faster. I have several of the latest cheap roku sticks and unless you know what you want to watch and dont plan on changing it the experience is not great. I have one of the more expensive models with a faster processor and it works much better to move around between shows/apps.

I'm hoping they do FIOS. The next few years will tell. I would love to have broadband of some kind.
FIOS is great in a few ways:

1. Excellent speed
2. Doesn’t go down very often, almost always continues working thru power outages.
3. Better channel line-up than our other local CATV sources.

However, I’m paying $250/mo for a mid-grade triple-play plan. I’ve always had thoughts of moving away from this, but have not put the required energy into researching the options. Reading this thread is giving me some inspiration to get moving, on that front.

NO charges as long as you dont opt for the pay services. I graduated from ROKU about a year ago. Have an android box ,a lot better selection of programming. I basically only watch the news and movies so it was roku and netflix ,now its android and netflix. Get just about everything .$35 a month all together.

What is an Android box? Our TV set and DVD players have network channels available, but it is limited to those that contract with the set mfg. We have Amazon, Netflix and a bunch of other, but no Hulu or YouTube at least on the TV. I need to check the DVD player.

PS: Am I the only one that thinks Netflix has the crappiest user interface ever? We only watch it occasionally because it is such a PITA to locate movies.

An android box vs a roku is sort of like windows vs Apple. Android is more open source,sort of a universal platform. My internet based providers dont use roku anymore and specify Android only.
Br Bart is right about You Tube .Freeintertv.com uses You Tube to bring you a lot of channels ,a few minutes delayed but nicely done .

PS: Am I the only one that thinks Netflix has the crappiest user interface ever? We only watch it occasionally because it is such a PITA to locate movies.
No, you are not the only one. And it seems to get worse each year.

Sometimes your watch list comes right up, just as often it's nowhere to be found. I don't mind the way they like to throw up "Popular on Netflix", and "Because you watched...", but the randomly changing (and I mean almost hourly changing) interface is beyond frustrating. I can't believe this isn't costing them users, or maybe it is.

An android box vs a roku is sort of like windows vs Apple. Android is more open source,sort of a universal platform. My internet based providers dont use roku anymore and specify Android only.
Br Bart is right about You Tube .Freeintertv.com uses You Tube to bring you a lot of channels ,a few minutes delayed but nicely done .
What android box do you have? Can it connect and display stuff from your phone?

FIOS is great in a few ways:

1. Excellent speed
2. Doesn’t go down very often, almost always continues working thru power outages.
3. Better channel line-up than our other local CATV sources.

However, I’m paying $250/mo for a mid-grade triple-play plan. I’ve always had thoughts of moving away from this, but have not put the required energy into researching the options. Reading this thread is giving me some inspiration to get moving, on that front.
I work from home...so my employer pays my internet package. If it costs $150 or so....so be it.

What android box do you have? Can it connect and display stuff from your phone?
Smart TV Box Android 7.1 OS,2017 OTTBOX Z Turbo Amlogic S912 Octa Core 3GB RAM 16GB ROM 3D 4K HD 2.4G 5G Dual Band Wifi BT4.1 1000M Lan Ethernet

I dont use it for phone apps,only for my TV pay service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brand & model? U2C, KUD, or?

I'm actually looking at a mobile hotspot router by Verizon for all my home internet needs. They have an unlimited plan for about $100 per month plus device cost.
In the fine print...you loose priority on the 4G LTE after 22gb but that doesn't always mean it will slow down...depends on the area.