Cable TV Next

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Iv found some of my favorite news programs on the parent network website. Full hour shows with only a small fraction of the commercials aired on the original cable broadcast. Plus you can watch previous shows you may have missed. And watch the show at your convenience,not necessarily when its broadcast. After waiting years for A la Carte TV this is even better as its free.

Firestick has arrived and is working. Next will be to explore gearstv. I see some discount codes via some you tube channels for this. Legit?

from Firestick, use fireDL, it makes install much easier. all you need is the 6 digit # provided by the app developer to install. i did use a promo code but it was only $2.

i'm going to need a stupid answer to the stupid question i'am about to ask and i hope someone will accommodate.
i see the list of channels on gears tv. that whole list is available but not given unless bought like HBO showtime A&E

it's all included. 6 or 7 HBO channels, A&E, 7 or so showtime channels, 8 or so SKY movie channels. They don't have special packages.

from Firestick, use fireDL, it makes install much easier. all you need is the 6 digit # provided by the app developer to install. i did use a promo code but it was only $2.

oh, the Mayfair guide comes w/gears, install separately, it's pretty cool.

oh, the Mayfair guide comes w/gears, install separately, it's pretty cool.
Good to know, I just installed Firefox and Pluto TV last night to see how things work. So far very good, no glitches dropouts. One thing the little Amazon primer mentioned was mirroring or pairing with your Android or Apple device. Not sure how that works. Is it just for remote functions or also for easier locating and streaming content? I'm thinking for example of using an iPad which has pictures and movies on it + an easier to use keyboard than the single click option with the remote control.

Installed FireDL, then Gears TV and Mayfair. So far ok, though my wife doesn't like the lack of sub-titles and onerous navigation. I'm not fond of having to log in every time Gears TV is launched. Is there a way to save the login info?

Installed FireDL, then Gears TV and Mayfair. So far ok, though my wife doesn't like the lack of sub-titles and onerous navigation. I'm not fond of having to log in every time Gears TV is launched. Is there a way to save the login info?

when you open the mayfair guide, it should ask you to activate gearstv. then enter your gearstv id/password. from there just open mayfair, i never open gears tv directly.

when you open the mayfair guide, it should ask you to activate gearstv. then enter your gearstv id/password. from there just open mayfair, i never open gears tv directly.

if you press the button with the 4 horizontal lines, then exit your channel. the mayfair menu comes up. I like "favorites builder". Let's you create your own guide.

Yes, that is the way I set it up. We are still trying to figure out navigation there. Like how to see the entire days's options not just the current few hours. Is there an online equivalent where one can look at the next week's programming?
if you press the button with the 4 horizontal lines, then exit your channel. the mayfair menu comes up. I like "favorites builder". Let's you create your own guide.
Good tip, thanks. Also, let's say you are watching a moving, but then step into the guide to see what is coming next of when the show ends. Mayfair puts the current movie in the upper left corner and displays the guide in the rest of the area. How does one return back to the movie after previewing the guide? Seeking a good online resource for mayfair today.

PS: Amazon is pushing Sling. Anyone subscribed to that?

Last edited:
Yes, that is the way I set it up. We are still trying to figure out navigation there. Like how to see the entire days's options not just the current few hours. Is there an online equivalent where one can look at the next week's programming?

Good tip, thanks. Also, let's say you are watching a moving, but then step into the guide to see what is coming next of when the show ends. Mayfair puts the current movie in the upper left corner and displays the guide in the rest of the area. How does one return back to the movie after previewing the guide? Seeking a good online resource for mayfair today.

PS: Amazon is pushing Sling. Anyone subscribed to that?

How does one return back to the movie after previewing the guide?>

2 ways, either select the channel again (middle of the circle) or button with 4 lines then return to channel.

How does one return back to the movie after previewing the guide?>

2 ways, either select the channel again (middle of the circle) or button with 4 lines then return to channel.
I kept going to the next selected movie in the menu when I clicked the middle of the circle. I will try to deselect first if that is possible.

I kept going to the next selected movie in the menu when I clicked the middle of the circle. I will try to deselect first if that is possible.

the circle in the middle is in effect enter, 12,3,6,9 pm are up,right,down,left respectively. if you press up/down while a channel is playing, it will cycle through the guide while still viewing your current channel. if you want to switch, just enter. if not, press the return arrow to cancel.

the circle in the middle is in effect enter, 12,3,6,9 pm are up,right,down,left respectively. if you press up/down while a channel is playing, it will cycle through the guide while still viewing your current channel. if you want to switch, just enter. if not, press the return arrow to cancel.

if you press left/right while a channel is playing, it will cycle through the guide for that channel you're watching, while still viewing your current channel. press the return arrow to cancel.

Thanks for the help mass_burner, I'm starting to get the hang of it now. It's just like cable, 500 channels of which most have old stuff, or garbage. I'll have to work on setting up a favorites menu to screen out all the crap, but I need to know more about the channel schedules. Does the programming match current programming for your region or is it all old taped stuff? For example, we started watching John Oliver on HBO and it turned out to be a program from last Christmas.

Thanks for the help mass_burner, I'm starting to get the hang of it now. It's just like cable, 500 channels of which most have old stuff, or garbage. I'll have to work on setting up a favorites menu to screen out all the crap, but I need to know more about the channel schedules. Does the programming match current programming for your region or is it all old taped stuff? For example, we started watching John Oliver on HBO and it turned out to be a program from last Christmas.
it seems accurate, i do most of my viewing on reloaded tv via kodi. but then again, i watch movies mainly, so there are very few shows i watch sequentially.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
not really a big fan, but i have been able to watch all the WC football (can't get used to saying that) matches. they even have replays later if you missed it live.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Network TV is such a rip-off. Commercials paid for the programming in the past. NOW not only do you have to sit through 15 minutes of commercials for half hour show you have to pay a cable company for the privilege. I think this is why Netflix is so successful,no commercials EVER! Just about everything worth watching these days is available online free or very low cost(PIX $20 Month) for those willing to look for it. Just my 2c.

This is actually true even in our house. Kids prefer streaming Netflix than Cable TV because they literally choose whatever show they want to watch and how much time they want to spend on it (usually binge). Sometimes, we even use Apple TV just to rent recent movies not available on Netflix.

This is actually true even in our house. Kids prefer streaming Netflix than Cable TV because they literally choose whatever show they want to watch and how much time they want to spend on it (usually binge). Sometimes, we even use Apple TV just to rent recent movies not available on Netflix.
Watched a chapter of Blue Planet II the other night on BBC America. I was very surprised that there were regular commercial interruptions.

Well, we've given it a few months and truth be told our impression is meh. We have been getting buffering issues that always come at the worst times. It's odd because for the programs following there is no issue. This has happened for a couple weeks now and drives my wife crazy. The other issue is the out of sync scheduling and difficulty finding view worthy content.

I despise regular tv so much that even when I'm in a hotel room with 100 channels and 2 50" tv's, I'm on my laptop watching what I want.

I’m usually on hearth.com. TV is just background noise, usually an old episode of MASH, Cheers, or All in the Family, if I can find it.

those shows were funny todays shows just don't have it

No argument there. We haven't watched broadcast tv for a couple decades and 90% of what is on cable tv is often boring crap.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
those shows were funny todays shows just don't have it
Those shows were great, but there are some new ones that have been very good, too. In the last five or ten years I’ve enjoyed:

Big Bang Theory
Last Man Standing
Mike & Molly

If we have to find something between then and now, there’s Third Rock from the Sun and Frasier. Heck, even All in the Family and Cheers were almost 20 years apart... it’s not like TV was full of great stuff back then.