Cable TV Next

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Kodi is the media player. It is basically the structure for your pictures, videos, music, etc. It works via addons. Anyone can write an addon and install it. I have an IPTV service that has it's own addon, I installed it, entered then id and pw, and I was good to go. It has a customizable channel guide. Kodi provides no content. I also use it to manage/play my music and home videos, it's video player is very good! We also use IPTV via Amazon firestick in another room., the firestick is superior to roku, you can directly download any app with it easily.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

What IPTV service are you using? Does the firestick include a browser for the internet?

What IPTV service are you using? Does the firestick include a browser for the internet?
Reloaded TV for kodi; gearstv for firestick. Same company, different names. The firestick has a built in app downloaded. You enter the URL and it gets and installs it.

Reloaded TV for kodi; gearstv for firestick. Same company, different names. The firestick has a built in app downloaded. You enter the URL and it gets and installs it.

Sorry, I meant, firestick has a built in downloader app.

As Ive gotten older 40s. Ive slowed down in my desire to have the latest technology and just pay for some type of "cable" that works out of the box. I currently have directvgo ( $10 a month for 3 months ). After that I will probably switch to slingtv. After that I may try our cable companies pick so many stations. Usually once you cancel one you get a promotion via email to try again.

I can remember building my own "tivo" with mythtv when I was in my 20s. My mom thought I was stealing something and I should be paying for it when she would visit. Now I just get pissed if I have to reboot something. Although now I clip coupons and look for groceries on sale continually Im pretty sure that money saved is more then trying to save on cable tv and takes less time. Yet almost no one does it.

Network TV is such a rip-off. Commercials paid for the programming in the past. NOW not only do you have to sit through 15 minutes of commercials for half hour show you have to pay a cable company for the privilege. I think this is why Netflix is so successful,no commercials EVER! Just about everything worth watching these days is available online free or very low cost(PIX $20 Month) for those willing to look for it. Just my 2c.

Network TV is such a rip-off. Commercials paid for the programming in the past. NOW not only do you have to sit through 15 minutes of commercials for half hour show you have to pay a cable company for the privilege. I think this is why Netflix is so successful,no commercials EVER! Just about everything worth watching these days is available online free or very low cost(PIX $20 Month) for those willing to look for it. Just my 2c.

I think shows are still 26 minutes on the half hour, same as they’ve been for a few decades now. Movies on TV are a different story, but it’s a good excuse to take a leak, freshen your drink, or check in on hearth.com from your i.thing.

Also, with dvr, you can just skip commercials.

Firestick has Firefox and Silk browsers. They put Firefox on it to get around Google blocking Fire access to youtube. You can also use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Firestick has Firefox and Silk browsers. They put Firefox on it to get around Google blocking Fire access to youtube. You can also use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
Cool, cheap and versatile.

Yeah when they were on sale for $25 apiece shipped I put one on all three TVs and cancelled that $90 a month Directv basic package that cost us $19.99 a month when we first got it. Now I am inundated with email, mail and phone calls wanting me to come back for $19.99 a month for a year. Too late.

This was in a CNN story in march:
"The trend toward fewer commercials isn't that popular within the industry, though. Brian Wieser, a senior advertising analyst at Pivotal Research Group, told CNN last week that some networks run as much as 20 minutes of commercials per hour of programming."
News channels (which is about the only network TV i watch) seem to really go overboard. I feel like i have sat through the My pillow,and Flex tape ones a thousand times. Its like sitting in traffic.

Last edited:
This was in a CNN story in march:
"The trend toward fewer commercials isn't that popular within the industry, though. Brian Wieser, a senior advertising analyst at Pivotal Research Group, told CNN last week that some networks run as much as 20 minutes of commercials per hour of programming."
News channels (which is about he only network TV i watch) seem to really go overboard. I feel like i have sat through the My pillow,and Flex tape ones a thousand times. Its like sitting in traffic.
I believe it. And if it's a special event they seem to have about 50/50 blend of content vs commercials. I have no tolerance for that. Why the first thing on our sets that wore out was the mute button. Since around 2000 we stopped watching commercial television all together. I may be the only one that has never seen the apprentice, survivor, etc..

I may be the only one that has never seen the apprentice, survivor, etc..
I never saw either one, no sitcoms,no idol shows. Outside of the News, I prefer documentaries to all that,travel channel,Dis.science, or a good movie.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I never saw either one, no sitcoms,no idol shows. Outside of the News, I prefer documentaries to all that,travel channel,Dis.science, or a good movie.
Likewise. Lately we have been watching a lot of Scandinavian who done it's via mHz.

I don't use a browser on my TVs, kodi has a YouTube addon if I need it, but i rarely do. Gears TV via firestck has a sweet channel guide that works with the fierstick remote.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Any streaming issues, lag or breakup? Can you get a different remote for the fire stick? I have no desire to have Alexa in the house.

Any streaming issues, lag or breakup? Can you get a different remote for the fire stick? I have no desire to have Alexa in the house.
No lag/breakup to speak of. We even use both streaming at the same time with issues. You don't need to use voice commands, the buttons work just fine.

Is Gears TV just US channels? We are interested in international channels too.

US, CAN, European, HBO, showtime, lots of EU sports channels.
Is Gears TV just US channels? We are interested in international channels too.

Yes, I checked that out already. Only US stations listed. I found another location that showed UK and Canadian channels and some hispanic channels, but nothing from Germany, France, Japan, India, etc.. Looks like that may take another source. Not a big deal, looks like there are many options.

I know there are EU sports, Bein, etc. I remember France 24, but that may be through kodi repository, I'm at the cape house now so I can't check.

Firestick has arrived and is working. Next will be to explore gearstv. I see some discount codes via some you tube channels for this. Legit?

i'm going to need a stupid answer to the stupid question i'am about to ask and i hope someone will accommodate.
i see the list of channels on gears tv. that whole list is available but not given unless bought like HBO showtime A&E