Cable TV Next

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Smart TV Box Android 7.1 OS,2017 OTTBOX Z Turbo Amlogic S912 Octa Core 3GB RAM 16GB ROM 3D 4K HD 2.4G 5G Dual Band Wifi BT4.1 1000M Lan Ethernet

I dont use it for phone apps,only for my TV pay service.
Have you checked out Kodi for it?
https://kodi.tv/about

Kodi is a real pain in the tukus to navigate. And stuff disappears a lot.

Or maybe it is just me.

Kodi is a real pain in the tukus to navigate. And stuff disappears a lot.

Or maybe it is just me.
Good to know. This is often true of open source stuff. It helps to get on their forums sometimes to solve these issues, but sometimes it's just a matter of waiting until the bug becomes a priority for someone with the time to fix it.

Good to know. This is often true of open source stuff. It helps to get on their forums sometimes to solve these issues, but sometimes it's just a matter of waiting until the bug becomes a priority for someone with the time to fix it.

The cable guys spend a lot of resources trying to kill off Kodi.

We fired the cable guys. We have 2 TV's. We have 2 Roku boxes and 1 Apple box. On the Roku's we have Sling TV allowing us to watch live TV. For our local channels (NBC, CBS, PBS etc.) we use an indoor antenna (Mohu) with much better picture quality than Comcast. On the Roku boxes we have Hulu and Netflix as well. That's all we need. Saved a lot of money cancelling Comcast. I work from home, so our second phone line and our internet (both Comcast) are paid by my employer.

I haven't had cable or dish type TV since the early 90s . Never paid more than $20 for a monthly service since then. Used to be "stay away form lawyers and insurance salesmen" both trying to pick your pocket. Now its "Cable,Cell service, and the heating fuel delivery guy.

I haven't had cable or dish type TV since the early 90s . Never paid more than $20 for a monthly service since then. Used to be "stay away form lawyers and insurance salesmen" both trying to pick your pocket. Now its "Cable,Cell service, and the heating fuel delivery guy.
What are you using for internet service?

What are you using for internet service?
DSL from verizon. Internet service is the most expensive part of the deal. Paying about $60 a month for that. And you need at least 5Mb a second to get HD so it cant be slow. But there are 4 people on ours with 4 HD TVs .Game boxes ,computers ect..

OK, only have Century Tel and we are a long ways from the nearest switch. I think we'd be lucky to get 5 mbps. For a little more a month we have Comcast at something ridiculous like 155 mbps. Our cell signal is also weak whether Verizon or AT&T, so that is a poor option unless 5G improvements change things. Hate to be tied to comcrap, but they have a monopoly out here on the internet highway.

We fired the cable guys. We have 2 TV's. We have 2 Roku boxes and 1 Apple box. On the Roku's we have Sling TV allowing us to watch live TV. For our local channels (NBC, CBS, PBS etc.) we use an indoor antenna (Mohu) with much better picture quality than Comcast. On the Roku boxes we have Hulu and Netflix as well. That's all we need. Saved a lot of money cancelling Comcast. I work from home, so our second phone line and our internet (both Comcast) are paid by my employer.

I admire your ambition here, but it sounds like an awful lot of work going toward what’s supposed to be your mindless relaxation time. I get peeved when I can’t remember whether a movie I’ve paused the evening before is on Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Fios on-demand. I can’t even imagine negotiating the realm of services you employ, to find some programming when I want to sit and relax.

I admire your ambition here, but it sounds like an awful lot of work going toward what’s supposed to be your mindless relaxation time. I get peeved when I can’t remember whether a movie I’ve paused the evening before is on Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Fios on-demand. I can’t even imagine negotiating the realm of services you employ, to find some programming when I want to sit and relax.

It's all plug and play. No programming involved what so ever. The only thing is we have too many remote controls now.

It's all plug and play. No programming involved what so ever. The only thing is we have too many remote controls now.

Programming is the old word for what the kids call “content,” today. I didn’t mean coding.

Programming is the old word for what the kids call “content,” today. I didn’t mean coding.

I must be getting too old for this. We watch TV very selectively. A few channels on Sling (BBC, CNN, HGTV, Food Network). The lady uses the Apple TV every now and then. In weekends we use Hulu for some series she follows.

Im probably younger than most on this forum, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be just as cantankerous. [emoji14]

Im probably younger than most on this forum, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be just as cantankerous. [emoji14]

Get off my lawn you kids!

I got lost yesterday evening looking at IPTV options and reading forum reviews. There are tons of options, but a lot sound like unreliable basement servers in lord knows what country. Wandering through them is like going through a carpet bazar in Tunisia. One needs to exercise a lot of caution for deals that sound good, but with poor service or dubious payment schemes. That said there do appear to be some reliable options. Unfortunately a lot are targeting specific devices like SmartTVs or the Mag 254 box.

Has anyone gone the IPTV route?

I got lost yesterday evening looking at IPTV options and reading forum reviews. There are tons of options, but a lot sound like unreliable basement servers in lord knows what country. Wandering through them is like going through a carpet bazar in Tunisia. One needs to exercise a lot of caution for deals that sound good, but with poor service or dubious payment schemes. That said there do appear to be some reliable options. Unfortunately a lot are targeting specific devices like SmartTVs or the Mag 254 box.

Has anyone gone the IPTV route?

My wife looked into it recently. She spent days researching it. She downloaded some of the apps on the Apple TV as well as on our Smart TV. Well, it was disappointing. Indeed very poor service, very slow, poor quality.

My wife looked into it recently. She spent days researching it. She downloaded some of the apps on the Apple TV as well as on our Smart TV. Well, it was disappointing. Indeed very poor service, very slow, poor quality.
Yes, there is a lot of crap out there from what I can tell. Has she tried torpedo iptv out of Canada? Some others that came up that are reported stable are dabbletv.com, rocketstream, Eternal TV and Crown TV. If she tries or has tried these can you let me know?

Last edited:
Yes, there is a lot of crap out there from what I can tell. Has she tried torpedo iptv out of Canada? Some others that came up that are reported stable are dabbletv.com, rocketstream, Eternal TV and Crown TV. If she tries or has tried these can you let me know?

I will ask. Stay tuned.

Iv had PIX tv for about a year now with the android box. Very few problems. I get everything except the travel channel but now i get that from freeintertv.com. There are forums that deal with this ,same way we talk about woodstoves. If freeintertv.com sticks around i wouldnt need anything else. Time will tell. Like i said before a lot depends on your internet speed ,slow or erratic speed and you will get freeze ups and poor quality picture.

Last edited:
Not sure, but I think kodi is an iptv app, like stalker.