Caddy wood furnace and OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
From the Caddy manual:

It is recommended to install an outside air inlet of minimum 4” diameter in the room where the heating appliance is
installed (see drawing below). It is preferable to choose a wall which is not exposed to dominant winds, depending
on the conditions surrounding your house.

http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=16&Id=335&Page=spec

But the Caddy doesn't seem to have a place where to connect the OAK. It looks that the air intake should bring the air to the whole room where the Caddy sits, and not to Caddy alone. Is this correct? My concern is that I affect this super insulated house with a 4" whole in the wall. Please advice.

Thanks,
Beno

All combustion needs fresh air, including other living things. You need an air makeup system in a super insulated house, even without a wood stove/boiler. You need positive air input with the stove. Without sufficient air supply the risk is poor combustion to death from CO.

If designed for direct outside air input, as recommended by the mfr, then direct ducting to the wood burner should be fine. If not designed for direct air input, IMO the air input should be in the room where the burner is located. I think you can do a siphon break in the air inlet to minimize cold air flow when the air in not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.