BarneyBarney Posted By BarneyBarney, May 16, 2018 at 10:12 AM

1. BarneyBarney

BarneyBarney
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 16, 2018
    Loc:
    England
    I have acquired an old enamel Jotul (I believe series 8). All in good condition (maybe missing some internal components) except for one major thing - Someone has cut a long slim rectangle fromt he base. I don't know if they have tried to modify in some way. Is it possible to repair it? It's otherwise in such good condition that it seems a shame to let it go to waste.
    Thanks

2. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    If you know what you need, keep an eye on Ebay, there are folks that scrap out Jotul's and sell the parts. As long as its not a wear part that everyone wants you may get lucky. (search Jotul)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Can you post a picture of the alteration? The series 8 is still sold in the UK I believe. The base may be available from a Jotul dealer, though perhaps not in enamel. Do you know the age of the stove?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Do you really mean “base”, or is it inside the sill? The Jotul air control design is prone to sticking in the full-closed position, and became such a problem for them that they eventually added an access panel just inside the doors, so one could open and clean / lube in there. This was lacking on older stoves, but some owners have cut their own, to resolve issues in there. They sell a gasketed cast plate designed to cover the hole, if that’s what you’re describing.

5. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Ah, good thought. That is the doghouse cover on the newest stoves. The older model 8 had a spin-wheel draft control. The newer series 8 models had the air control at the top right, so an access panel was not needed. The new Jotul models (F400, F500 & F600) now have the bottom slider draft control.

A picture of the cutout would help.