can I remove the heat shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Can I remove the two heat shields from the back of the stove and leave them off?
I have no clearance issue, I was just wondering if there was any benefit to keeping them on?

Jotul F3 CB

Thanks
Mark

gizmos said:
Hi all,
Can I remove the two heat shields from the back of the stove and leave them off?
I have no clearance issue, I was just wondering if there was any benefit to keeping them on?

Jotul F3 CB

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,
I think you could take it off if there are no clearance issues.. Looks like you have a non-combustable wall behind your stove..

Ray

If you heat shields have a bit of a 'curve' to them they help radiate btu's out into your room......

Shari

I don't see any problem taking it the heat shield off of an F3. I just aims straight up. But it does provide convection air.

Why would you want to? Just means more stove heat radiated straight into the masonry behind the stove instead of creating a vertical convective flow which probably results in more heat being brought into the room air. Rick

so in your opinions, the heat shields (I have two on the back) (not sure why theres two) shove the heat out to the front of the stove? so I should leave them on?
thanks Mark

They don't shove it to the front but straight up. What we don't know is what role they play in heating that secondary air intake in the back of the stove and therefore making the burn more efficient.

The only guy that knows that is an engineer in Norway. There is a concrete block basement wall behind my F3 but I have never even considered taking the heat shield off.

BrotherBart said:
They don't shove it to the front but straight up. What we don't know is what role they play in heating that secondary air intake in the back of the stove and therefore making the burn more efficient.

The only guy that knows that is an engineer in Norway. There is a concrete block basement wall behind my F3 but I have never even considered taking the heat shield off.

+1 Bart good advice on this subject .. My stove has a heat shield on the bottom but it never gets hot probably because I leave the ash bin full all the time.. Let the manufacturer decide what their intent was on these shields..

Ray

Since there are no clearance to combustible issues with your install, why not remove them for a while and give it a try. You will be warm either way. If my shields were removable on my Quad they likely would be off by now. That is because the former Vestal stove was all radiant heat with no shields and I enjoyed the radiant aspect of the former stove. The stone behind your stove will become a type of heat bank and help to average out temps even when your stove is out or at the end of a burn cycle. If you remove them, give it a fair trial of a couple of weeks to sense the difference because it is subtle.

gizmos said:
so in your opinions, the heat shields (I have two on the back) (not sure why theres two) shove the heat out to the front of the stove? so I should leave them on?
thanks Mark

My Oslo only has the one heat sheild, and I too might experiment with taking it off. Mine sounds like someone throwing quarters at a coffee can every few minutes when the fire gets cool enough between cycles. Does yours make the same "ching" sound when its cool? I know its just the temp differences and I pinpointed it to the sheild early in the season.. it only lasts a few minutes though so it hasnt been a big issue.

Hi gizmos,

Is your brick wall 'on its own there' - or is it built up against a pre-existing wallboard, wood or other combustible material? If it is freestanding, you are OK. If it's a decorative wall in front of a combustible wall then you are NOT OK - leave the shields in place!

nelraq said:
Hi gizmos,

Is your brick wall 'on its own there' - or is it built up against a pre-existing wallboard, wood or other combustible material? If it is freestanding, you are OK. If it's a decorative wall in front of a combustible wall then you are NOT OK - leave the shields in place!

+1, very good point even idf the "surface" of a wall is not combustible , any underlying combustibles such as stud boards and such are combustible and require clearances which are affected by the existance of heat shields integral to stoves.

Hi all
thanks for all the replys. The stone is all masonry, and it does act like a masonry heater, radiating heat back long after the stove has cooled. And I do get the "ching" "ping" sound sometimes from the heat shields. I guess I asked the question to find out what everyone else was doing. I don't know how it would effect the operation of the stove if I took them off? I may take them off and play with it, to see if it changes anything. I have been using a small fan (little 6") behind the stove. I put it in the fire box and it blows a little air over the stove and into the room. I can sure tell the difference when it's on. It really moves the warm air much faster. Then the ceiling fans take over. If anyone else has tried without the heat shields can you post what you learned?
Thanks
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.