Can I use a Catalytic Stove as a normal Wood stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dfoxhoven

Dec 22, 2020
Elizabethtown, Pa
So I purchased an Earth Stove 1002c on Craigslist. After doing more research, I learned that it is a Catalytic Stove. So I began to look at it closer, and it turns out the Catalytic was removed and there's just a hold in the top for where the pipe fits. It appears that the previous owner might have modified it so there was no catalytic....my question is this....is it dangerous to use? One would think that it's bascially a big cast iron box and could still be used as a Wood Stove (I would put firebrick down) and put a damper in my pipe...is this possible...or should I be looking at a new stove (this stove is going to be used in my workshop which is just about 500 sq ft). Thanks!

IMHO, its not dangerous to do so, its just going to burn more wood and more prone to creosote if you burn poorly seasoned wood.

Reactions: Shrewboy
I've often wondered this same question. I'm guessing the stove would burn more wood. Has anyone decided to run a blaze king with a cat that is worn out? If so what were the consequences.

I've often wondered this same question. I'm guessing the stove would burn more wood. Has anyone decided to run a blaze king with a cat that is worn out? If so what were the consequences.
Yes infact most cat stoves I service are running on worn out cats or no cat at all. It means they run like an old smoke dragon or worse.

If I forget to close the bypass, I notice creosote build up quickly in my chimney with 2 90’s. Wood isn’t perfectly dry but doesn’t have hardly any build up till the day I set it on low and forget the bypass