Can you run a VC Encore 2250 without cat converter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamminson

Sep 18, 2016
Richmond, va
Hey folks
I'm in the process of rubbing the rust off my dads old woodstove and wondering if it will work without the
Catalytic converter. Apparently he replaced the stove because he didn't like the cat.

It has also be in the
Elements uncovered for a few years but after using pb blaster and scrubbing it seems functional. I'm going to need to replace the rope gaskets, can anyone point me towards a tutorial for doing that? Also still trying to get the damper handle to unstick, do just unscrew that Allen nut and lube it up?

Couple rednecks here think it will work fine if I leave front doors
Rusted shut and only use top loading (which is what my dad did except when cleaning glass). And just ignore the catalytic feature and use damper as needed and possibly a manual damper on stovepipe if need.

What's your opinion. Will this thing leak and not be worth it? Or not flow at all?

Living in a yurt off grid
Cheers
Ben

For a yurt it would probably give off plenty of heat without the cat or the bypass being operational. Is the bypass damper stuck open or closed?

You can certainly run it any way you want to and it'll give you some heat, BUT: my 30 years of fixing Encores has revealed that if you can't get it to do what you want the way it is, don't start trying to fix stuff. It's like the MOST complicated stove ever, and parts have become ridiculously expensive. That money would be way better spent on something else. You may think you've got a diamond in the rough there, let me assure you ya' don't. Sorry man.

Status
Not open for further replies.