Cancelled my stove and switched to J.A. Roby Sirius

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Boxing in the cut joist is not a big deal. Have the carpenter do this. Yes, a straight-up flue system is better when the flue is short.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Making Progress-----Got my French Doors......clancey..

Attachments

• french doors 002.JPG
    french doors 002.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 234
Ahhh Heck I thought that I would have fun with something industrial...lol Thanks that saves me some money too and I just wanted to be real sure as I progress forward with this stove----------Big thanks...clancey.

Typically 2" EPS (expanded polystyrene) is used under the slab. Let them know well in advance so that they have the materials on hand.

Depending on where in Colorado the OP is located, (and if he's concerned about energy code compliance with his addition), under-slab insulation may need to be 4" of EPS or 3" of spray foam. We're requiring R-20 or greater under slab/exterior foundation insulation in almost all cases these days.

Thanks BBC Burner and beautiful area and ripe for fishing your area of CO... Have everything handled and the concrete people will be here on April 12th to lay the concrete down 4 inches with the foam insulation under it with the stove sitting right on top of concrete..There is a three inch concrete slab on top of concrete that will be anchored just to raise the wood stove up to a height of 36 inches.. Just wondering about the walls and all clearances are being met and for now not having tile or rock put on the walls for decoration and just wanted to double check that and this saves me a lot of money.. This project will begin on the 12th of April when the carpenter and concrete people arrive. Will keep everyone informed especially that old begreen who has stood by and held fast in working with me---I call him that in a jesting manner. My installer walks around with a rule book and uses it for his pillow so we are covered...Thanks every one of you with you valuable help and suggestions.. Looking forward for the stove to arrive . I will check it out completely and take pictures and sign the paperwork if it is acceptable. The delivery person is just going to have to wait until I check it out. I will take x rays of that glass door-lol lol. Getting excited and can't wait and will keep you all informed... Thank you everybody and much appreciate your encouragement and help with all of this starting from a pellet stove then changing my mind to a Morso classic then changing my mind again to this stove a J.A. Roby (Sirius).. This will be only for emergencies if all power fails like in Texas and will make my "soon to be enclosed porch a bit updated.. Right now it is a junk holder that I use for storage..Thanks clancey.

Did the stove installer discuss adding chimney height to compensate for altitude? This is another reason for a straight-up flue system.

He did mention something about that but I did not really understand what he said so today I wrote him a e-mail about wanting a straight up chimney and what does he think about the functioning of it. I already mentioned this but he seemed to pass over it and tells me the clearances will change and showed me the next roofing area where the piping could go in if it is straight and that area would change clearances for the doors so this still needs to be worked on and I will let you all know what his response is to the e-mail,,,I might very well have to get my two step ladder out and cut a hole in the roof myself. lol...Mrs clancey..

Trying to get a picture of my stove that is coming but I do have a question..I spoke to the concrete people today and they will make me concrete step and I also want a three inch concrete pad under the stove to raise it to 36 inch high. i wonder if there are ways to tie this block of concrete so that it would not be permanent with the rest of the floor? My installer man says I definitely have to have that tacked down so that it won;t move but I do not want it permanent into the concrete work and like a hearth pad--how do they get tied down..?clancey
http://www.jaroby.com/img/boutique/normales/sirius-1gh29.jpg

If you want a raised hearth that is movable, make it out of wood and cover with a non-combustible surface .

That suits me just fine and i can do that---what material would you suggest? I would buy a hearth pad but they are too big and I just want this under my stove size just to raise it 3 inches and have the rest of the concrete floor all even (easier to clean and safer)..I e-mailed my installer and asked him to give me a straight pipe and not have that elbow in it and if he wants my carpenter will fix the roof whatever needs to be done---I imagine he is thrilled with me--lol ..I also wrote that the piping could be taller too..Now when I called the office workers (family) asked me why I did not want the elbow and I told them because of "soot" maybe gathering and easier to clean out and maybe a better draft so she said "cresote" then I said "yes that's the stuff"...we laughed...So that where we sit right now. Moving along here and being productive.....clancey..

Reactions: Sailrmike
Things are chirping along and my stove has been shipped and they will give me notice for the driveway delivery so that I can set a appointment and be here.. So far so good...clancey.

hmmm.... this story was moving right along then suddenly came to an end?
What's happenin' @clancey?

Updating everyone with pictures. French doors are in and the next step is the concrete work on Monday
Trying to get pictures on here...The french doors are in and I forgot how to put pictures on here but this is the few that I got to show all of you on the forum...Work is puttering along and the concrete and insulation will be laid on Monday...Everything is going well and on the time table too. Thank everyone for your good wishes and concern over my brothers death on Good Friday.. But the French Doors are In...Yes....Clancey

Porch 001.JPG Porch 007.JPG Porch 005.JPG Porch 003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesGuido
Pictures of continuing work above and I am saving every piece of wood that I have left over for the start of my wood pile. Right now I have a old table that is swaying and can not be rescue because of its cheapness upside down and made into a wood pile and a picture would just be too painful to put on here because of what it looks like--lol . This Monday will be concrete and bolt day , then days and days of drying the concrete meaning I can only use the front door--what a drag this will be...but I am game for it....Mrs. Clancey

Keep on the good job, and keep on sending news and photos if possible, being a French Québecois, photos are easier to read for me LOL.

Your lucky Nortcan your beautiful stove is already installed with a impression stove pipe...I hope my stove pipe is just as pretty and nice and straight and I shared with the installer that I wanted a straight pipe with no elbow and he has not called me since..lol lol..I will take more pictures as this progresses and this week we will get some snow and rain (lovely)--just in time for the concrete but it is in a protective area but might take more time to dry making my entrance to my birdies more complicated because I have to go out the front..lol Gosh I am spoiled and dread walking a few more steps...lol Thanks for the post and will keep you informed...On this website I have not heard too much information about J.A. Roby my Sirius stove and I wonder if anyone has this brand and how do they like the wood stoves.. ? Thanks clancey

Hard day today and trying to get pictures on.. This gives you the extent of our day. Major concrete work today and will be laid tomorrow, The stove arrived and it #3 and #19 under the blue tarp and I checked it out real good and seems to be okay,, The porch has french doors as well as sliding doors and three windows and the concrete work is 40x25 and 36x25 and 8x15 with steps about 7 feet long 15 wide and 5 inches high and a basement door that needs to be finished..This gives you some idea of the work in progress here and the electrician will be here on Tues as well as the carpenter next week after the concrete is seasoned..Tomorrow they pour it and also put the 1/2 inch insulation material down in the patio area (thank goodness for this suggestion from one of our members from Texas---great suggestion as well as the name of the stuff from Begreen....tomorrow's another day and just wanted to share this with you all....clancey

Attachments

• wood stove 005.JPG
    wood stove 005.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 152
  • wood stove 002.JPG
    wood stove 002.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 165
  • wood stove 003.JPG
    wood stove 003.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 153
  • wood stove 014.JPG
    wood stove 014.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 153
  • wood stove 018.JPG
    wood stove 018.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 167
  • wood stove 019.JPG
    wood stove 019.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 168
Trying to get just single pictures on here but do not know how to do this...Never know what I am going to pick up from past pictures..Porch concrete work is finished and I cancelled out the other path because I did not like how it lined up with everything and certainly did not want a step going sideways to the basement area----so I had them take out the wood pieces and just do the porch area..They were gracious and nice but not thrilled about the adjustment--lol...They did a wonderful job of work here and their were six of them and I gave them each a five dollar bill for lunch.. Tim, Bill, Mark, and I cannot remember the rest of their names..My new wood stove is covered up real good with bricks all around the tarp because we are going to have "nasty" weather all week--snow and rain...Here is the picture...clancey

Attachments

• Concrete work 001 - Copy.JPG
    Concrete work 001 - Copy.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Concrete work 002.JPG
    Concrete work 002.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 172
Trying to get just single pictures on here but do not know how to do this...Never know what I am going to pick up from past pictures..Porch concrete work is finished and I cancelled out the other path because I did not like how it lined up with everything and certainly did not want a step going sideways to the basement area----so I had them take out the wood pieces and just do the porch area..They were gracious and nice but not thrilled about the adjustment--lol...They did a wonderful job of work here and their were six of them and I gave them each a five dollar bill for lunch.. Tim, Bill, Mark, and I cannot remember the rest of their names..My new wood stove is covered up real good with bricks all around the tarp because we are going to have "nasty" weather all week--snow and rain...Here is the picture...clancey

$5 doesn't even pay for lunch at McDonald's these days!

Major work this week starting on Monday..Closing in the porch and installing the stove with a straight piping instead of that elbow--I think..lol I have my carpenter there to add a 10 inch something as the installer wants.. Porch will have a 36 inch door for now--later it will be a custom sliding door that will be 72 inches and if I live long enough eventually the back yard will be pretty and landscaped with the pretty patio rock--but years from now-lol ,, (As I dream on)...The electrician comes on wed. and they are dumping river rock on Friday for the path to the house to the garage because i cancelled the concrete path for I did not like how they lined it up among other reasons and need more thought into this before I pull the trigger on that idea.. The porch area is finished being concreted and very nice with the insulation under the concrete..So this saga is continuing and would have been finished already if the weather was not crappy but we begin again...So far Monday cold but okay no snow and later warmer .. Tuesday rain but the carpenter will be doing inside work--I hope...Will think about a wood shed later and for now I am using a upside down table and it seems to be keeping the wood (scrap ) dry so this is good. I have it covered halfway with a tarp so that it gets a air supply to stay dry.. Will take a few pictures as this project is worked on...clancey

Major work this week starting on Monday..Closing in the porch and installing the stove with a straight piping instead of that elbow--I think..lol I have my carpenter there to add a 10 inch something as the installer wants.. Porch will have a 36 inch door for now--later it will be a custom sliding door that will be 72 inches and if I live long enough eventually the back yard will be pretty and landscaped with the pretty patio rock--but years from now-lol ,, (As I dream on)...The electrician comes on wed. and they are dumping river rock on Friday for the path to the house to the garage because i cancelled the concrete path for I did not like how they lined it up among other reasons and need more thought into this before I pull the trigger on that idea.. The porch area is finished being concreted and very nice with the insulation under the concrete..So this saga is continuing and would have been finished already if the weather was not crappy but we begin again...So far Monday cold but okay no snow and later warmer .. Tuesday rain but the carpenter will be doing inside work--I hope...Will think about a wood shed later and for now I am using a upside down table and it seems to be keeping the wood (scrap ) dry so this is good. I have it covered halfway with a tarp so that it gets a air supply to stay dry.. Will take a few pictures as this project is worked on...clancey
WOW, lot of thing to occupy your mind ( not shure of the saying), keep on the good work, the finished results are not so far away. Sometime planning a job is almost as difficult as doing it but you're on the good side.