Can't adjust the feed rate ...HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

I.M.

Dec 14, 2018
Canada
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to (pellet) stoves and I need some help.

I was given a free pellet stove (glowboy home heate HGBH1, with a acutron control board) bit now it turns out it has some issue (surprise).
The stove starts up nicely and without issues, but once it starts running the feed rate automatically sets to 4 (the highest rate) and won't go down. The stove has a thermostat attached, but no matter what I set to the stove keeps running (it feeds every 3 seconds).

I tried adjusting manually, but the start/feed rate does not react. It's the same button as the start button,and that does work!

The same with changing settings (manual or thermostat), which is supposed to be selected with the off button, it doesn't do a thing and I can't select anything, but I can use that button to turn it off.

Anyone has a solution? Waking up to a house that's 87 degrees is no fun, but I need the heat to prevent water pipes from freezing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like needs control board.It may be obsolete,and you may need a newer board,and possibly a wiring harness.

Reactions: I.M.
It sounds like you have the same stove as I do. If the thermostat is calling for heat, it will operate on feed rate 4 until the thermostat is satisfied. To check this, shut the stove down and unplug it. Then carefully pull the side panel with the controller in it and remove the controller board. There is a strap that needs to be in place to bypass the thermostat and operate only in manual mode. If you can put the strap in, the stove should respond to your changes for feed rate 1-4.

9E91EA3F-489D-4753-83F2-CF86D4E1959E.jpeg 81C95C78-9288-43F5-A1AB-FAFC4DA98FF2.jpeg

Reactions: I.M.
Thank you all for replying!
I completely forgot I posted a question on here and never checked back in.
I did find a manual but couldn't find a solution in there.

The issue is still not solved, but I haven't tried mbienz solution yet.

I do have a new issue to tackle first:
The stove doesn't ignite anymore, Everything was working fine until we turned it off for the night so we can clean it in the morning. After morning cleaning I haven't been able to get a fire going. The auger turns and feeds as normal, the igniter seems to become hot as well but the pallets won't catch on fire. At first I thought the auger was feeding to fast and killed the fire with an overload of pellets, but I cleaned all the pellets out of the hopper and still nothing happened.

I tried manual igniting with gel I borrowed from a neighbour, but as soon as I close the door the flames die and there is a lot of smoke entering the room (it comes out of the air intake, the hopper, and the hot air outake roster).

I'm about to give up on pellets stove and go back to my super expensive, loud and annoying diesel fueled furnace. Even though I can't sleep from the noise and it gives me terrible headaches.

Is your combustion fan working ?
Is the exhaust paths clean ?
When was the last time you did a complete cleaning ?

Is your combustion fan working ?
Is the exhaust paths clean ?
When was the last time you did a complete cleaning ?

I cleaned all the pipes out this morning with the brush and got rid of all the dust gathered inside.

The combustion fan is turning, but very slowly. It does look like it needs a good clean! Hopefully that will fix it.

Update: the combustion was indeed very dirty (a very thick layer) I don't think the previous owners cleaned it that often either.
I scraped, vacuumed and dusted everything today. Unfortunately it still rotates very very slow.
I'm taking it out again and will bring it to someone knowledgeable in the big city.

What’s the latest status?