Can't find 160° Convection Fan Sensor - Enviro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robbo

Jan 7, 2019
South of Boston, MA
Hey all. I'm new to the forum. I'm a 12 year enviro owner. I cooked my motherboard when water got in my chimney. I got a new one, but my convection blower will not turn on. I've bypassed the exhaust temp sensor and the 200° high temp sensor with the red pop-up with a male-male jumper. Convection fan still won't blow. I put direct power to the fan and it spins with no problem. The "service" manual and the wiring schematic indicate that there's a 160° sensor somewhere on the left side of the stove. I cannot find it for the life of me. I've followed all wires on the harness and still don't see it. I'm going crazy. I have a 2006 Empress FPI. Anybody know where this thing is hiding, or if maybe my stove doesn't have it. Thanks much in advance.

I believe if you have the sensor on the combustion blower housing(120) you do not have the 160 switch.The 120 allows the fan to operate.I could be wrong.

Ok. That might be the case. Although the wiring schematic on the back of the stove shows that I have both. Either way, short of jumping the vacuum switch, (my next option ), I can't figure why the convection fan won't activate when the stove heats up. I'll take any advice. Thanks.

The wires that go to it are purple

Bob,
I have the same service manual. That part isn't anywhere on the back of the stove. I was inquiring if it were possibly mounted behind some of the stainless steel fascias behind the back of the stove. Maybe the 120° sensor on the exhaust/combustion blower does both jobs? I've attached a photo that resembles "Fig 28" from the manual. There's no sensor there. Only the one you see on the exhaust blower. My wiring diagram on the sidewalk of the hopper shows three sensors: the exhaust 120°, the 200° high temp sensor, and the 160° Convection fan sensor. I'm losing my mind trying to locate the 160.
IMAG9412.jpg

The wires that go to it are purple
Hey Ssyko.
The only purple wire goes from the actual convection blower into the harness and directly to the white clip that connects to the motherboard. I've followed the remaining wires in the harness to their destinations. None lead to a third sensor. Only to the 120° on the exhaust/combustion blower and the 200° high temp sensor with the red pop-up button. The wiring schematic shows that a black and a purple wire go to a third sensor: the 160°, but it's just not there.
Either way, if the sensor on the combustion blower is doing double duty, even when I jump it with a double male end, the convection fan never spins.
My Last Hope is that by jumping the vaccuum switch, that might point to the problem. Other than that I'm clueless.
IMAG9414.jpg
IMAG9415.jpg
IMAG9413.jpg
IMAG9415.jpg
IMAG9413.jpg

When you jump the low limit switch the fan should come on.
I jumped the 200° high temp sensor and I jumped the 120° combustion exhaust blower sensor. Neither one let the fan come on. When I put the fan to direct power, it spins with no problem. Something on the motherboard or another sensor is preventing the convection fan from turning once the stove is hot enough.

It could very well be in the board. If everything else works you could run the fan directly to power. I’m sure that unit had a temp sensor but I could be wrong.

Well,I do not know.Perhaps wrong board for your serial number.Perhaps control panel was damaged.I see no jumper in the thermostat connector,are you running a thermostat? https://www.enviro.com/product_notes/1282334107-Empress FPI circuit board upgrade.pdf
No thermostat. I run on manual. It must be the board. Though the wiring schematic shows the 160° temp sensor, my machine doesn't have one unless it's hidden somehow. The parts list and exploded diagram of the stove in the Technical Manual make no mention of it.

Ok at your convection blower there are 3 purple wires that goes to it? 2 go to the control board the other goes to the convection fan sensor or at least it’s supposed to. Take some pics of the control board all plugged in and some of the harness.

This board is a replacement? Or original?

Ok at your convection blower there are 3 purple wires that goes to it? 2 go to the control board the other goes to the convection fan sensor or at least it’s supposed to. Take some pics of the control board all plugged in and some of the harness.
Will do. I won't be til later today. Thx

stupid question are all the fuses OK ?

The purple wire is connected to the black wire which comes out of the convection blower. The purple then joins the harness and doubles back into the white clip attached to the motherboard. The other black wire coming out of convection blower joins two white wires and on to the harness. None lead to a third sensor.

Attachments

• IMAG9416.jpg
    IMAG9416.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG9417.jpg
    IMAG9417.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG9419.jpg
    IMAG9419.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 165