Can't get the thermometer on the oil furnace over 150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dabster13

Nov 27, 2018
MA
There has to be a problem somewhere with the heat exchanger loop I just don't know what it can be. The water temp out at the boiler (via the computer and a manual thermometer) is showing 180, just chilling on it's idle cycle. But the thermometer inside at the oil furnace never really gets over 150. The heat transfer seems incredibly slow as taking a shower will kick the oil furnace on as the temp will drop down to 120.

Just trying to figure this out before actual winter hits.

You could have air in your loop. Are we talking about a pressurized boiler or a open to atmosphere system ?

Oil furnace or oil boiler ?

You could have air in your loop. Are we talking about a pressurized boiler or a open to atmosphere system ?
The loop to wood boiler is open to atmosphere (G4000)

The loop on the oil boiler/furnace I believe is closed. Attaching a picture of the thermometer on the top of it

20221109_125250 (3).jpg

The manual gives you the correct way to fill the boiler.

What are you trying to say? from the manual -- "your furnace has a vent pipe that protrudes through the roof which is used to fill the furnace with water"

That's exactly what i did.

1668442285759.png

I'll blame this one on your dealer. They should of told you to fill via a T not the top. The hint section above.

You need to be able to push the air out of your lines. Filling it from the top won't do that.

What's a T? Back of the G4000 looks like this.

So assuming air in the line, is there a way i can get it out?

20221109_175420.jpg

Also, the G4000 is at the highest point.

What's a T?
FH07FEB_PLUPEX_02.jpg

I have my t in my basement. Dragging a hose through the snow doesn't sound like fun :). I have shut off valves on both sides of my T so I can direct water anyway I want. When I filled mine, I made sure 99% of the water went through my inline filter before going into the boiler.

I'd highly recommend putting a shut valve above your pump. In your current configuration, if you need to change the pump you are going to get very wet. Also, why are pumping from a 1.5" port and then returning the water to the 1" port ? Stratification......

FH07FEB_PLUPEX_02.jpg

I have my t in my basement. Dragging a hose through the snow doesn't sound like fun :). I have shut off valves on both sides of my T so I can direct water anyway I want. When I filled mine, I made sure 99% of the water went through my inline filter before going into the boiler.

I'd highly recommend putting a shut valve above your pump. In your current configuration, if you need to change the pump you are going to get very wet. Also, why are pumping from a 1.5" port and then returning the water to the 1" port ? Stratification......
I don't know, that's the way the dealer installed it.

Not a plumber or anything but wouldn't a 1.5 to 1 be better than a 1 to 1.5? At least least in my mind in would cause higher pressure in the smaller line?

I don't know, that's the way the dealer installed it.
I guess you can use the shut off on the outlet valve to turn the water off. There should really be a shut off valve immediately above and below the pump. He did it that way to save a few dollars. Pay now or pay later when you have to change the pump

Not a plumber or anything but wouldn't a 1.5 to 1 be better than a 1 to 1.5? At least least in my mind in would cause higher pressure in the smaller line?
You want less pressure ( head ) not more. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and I've never seen one setup this way. They should go in and out the same size port.

Why isn't your dealer helping you with your current problem ? If you paid a dealer a lot of money for an install he should of filled it with water and made sure everything was working as expected.

The dealer certainly did the bare minimum on this install.

Reactions: sloeffle
I guess you can use the shut off on the outlet valve to turn the water off. Their should really be a shut off valve immediately above and below the pump. He did it that way to save a few dollars. Pay now or pay later when you have to change the pump

You want less pressure ( head ) not more. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and I've never seen one setup this way. They should go in and out the same size port.

Why isn't your dealer helping you with your current problem ? If you paid a dealer a lot of money for an install he should of filled it with water and made sure everything was working as expected.
I will be reaching back out to him, was hoping to see if it was something I can at least pinpoint is wrong. He came back on Saturday to do the water level bypass as that was giving a bad error.

I will be reaching back out to him, was hoping to see if it was something I can at least pinpoint is wrong. He came back on Saturday to do the water level bypass as that was giving a bad error.
To save a few dollars he didn't put a t in your basement so the boiler can be filled properly. He also should of filled the boiler and made sure all of the air was out of the lines.

I had to bypass my low water level sensor also.

Last edited:
I guess you can use the shut off on the outlet valve to turn the water off. There should really be a shut off valve immediately above and below the pump. He did it that way to save a few dollars. Pay now or pay later when you have to change the pump

As a sidebar, he himself runs a G7000 so I though he would know whats going on.

Some dealers are better than others...my brother was just telling me about a dealer that was bragging up the way he had started installing the lines in the back of the HeatMaster boilers so that some particular part of it could be accessed for cleaning (the install was pretty convoluted I take it) and turns out that HM already thought of that issue and there is easy access from a side panel! Apparently you just pay the money and your a "dealer"...

Reactions: sloeffle
As a sidebar, he himself runs a G7000 so I though he would know whats going on.
I bought my boiler from another dealer but I started following a local dealer on Facebook. He showed some pictures of his install. I'd be embarrassed to say that I did that install. No shut offs on the HX, no flush or shut off valves on the plate exchanger, lines just "hanging in air" and not attached to anything. By not doing those things, all he's was doing is making it harder for the home owner to fix any problems later down the road. As my old man says, it only takes a little bit of extra money and effort to do things correctly. Spend the extra time and money and do them correctly the first time.

Hopefully your dealer put a plate exchanger with flush valves ( if he didn't install a filter ) between your oil boiler and G4000 ?

There's a channel on YouTube called Alternative Heating Solutions. I'd highly recommending watching his videos, he knows his stuff big time.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I bought my boiler from another dealer but I started following a local dealer on Facebook. He showed some pictures of his install. I'd be embarrassed to say that I did that install. No shut offs on the HX, no flush or shut off valves on the plate exchanger, lines just "hanging in air" and not attached to anything. By not doing those things, all he's was doing is making it harder for the home owner to fix any problems later down the road. As my old man says, it only takes a little bit of extra money and effort to do things correctly. Spend the extra time and money and do them correctly the first time.

Hopefully your dealer put a plate exchanger with flush valves ( if he didn't install a filter ) between your oil boiler and G4000 ?

There's a channel on YouTube called Alternative Heating Solutions. I'd highly recommending watching his videos, he knows his stuff big time.
The dealer was different than the plumber that hooked it into my furnace, while he put the pumps on the G4000, a separate guy (one that was recommended to me) installed the heat exchanger (picture included)

20221108_150204.jpg

Shut offs, wye strainers, and cross flow ( assuming the wye strainer is incoming water ) are good. You might be able to get some of the air out of your lines by cracking open that wye strainer ( left side of your pic ). Plan on getting a little wet and have a bucket handy. I'd recommend cleaning that wye strainer out in a week or so. My filter had all kinds of stuff in it, and I've been only running for a three days so far.

Shut offs, wye strainers, and cross flow ( assuming the wye strainer is incoming water ) are good. You might be able to get some of the air out of your lines by cracking open that wye strainer ( left side of your pic ). Plan on getting a little wet and have a bucket handy. I'd recommend cleaning that wye strainer out in a week or so. My filter had all kinds of stuff in it, and I've been only running for a three days so far.
Can confirm the strainer is on the incoming water -- I have messages out to the dealer and plumber - Both have so far been good at responding and answering my questions and coming out to fix problems thus far -- so hopefully 1 or both respond this evening and I can get it figured out before the real cold starts.

Thank you for the help with this

@Dabster13 were you able to get your issue resolved yesterday ?
Nope not yet.

Dealer was over this morning, looking everything over - said the plumbing part looked right to him, so he's going to be calling the plumber and talking about how to resolve the issue. Measured the water on the house side with a separate thermometer, came in around 145, so there is definitely an issue somewhere.