Carbon Monoxide Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirk

Nov 29, 2013
RI
We have a Lopi wood stove that is about 3 years old. It has two adjustments, one up front to adjust the air intake and flue adjustment up top. We didn't run the stove at all yesterday but apparently there was a smoldering log in the stove from the night before. One of my boys closed both the flue and the air intake at some point and about 24 hours later the CO detectors went off. Fire department checked it out, with most rooms at about 30 ppm. The highest levels were near the stove. Once I noticed the smoldering log I opened the flue and the CO levels plummeted. Readings near the boiler were lower (oil fueled) and the fire department ran the boiler and measured no increase in CO.

I am getting someone out to check the stove our tomorrow but wanted to see if any of you have had a similar experience. Anything outside of the obvious that I should ask the guy who checks it out tomorrow?

Thanks

Sounds like there may be close to negative pressure in the room. When a competing (for air) appliance (boiler) or exhaust fan (bath, kitchen, clothes dryer) kicked on draft may have reversed. Good for you having the CO detector.

Does the boiler or the wood stove have an outside air supply?

Sounds like there may be close to negative pressure in the room. When a competing (for air) appliance (boiler) or exhaust fan (bath, kitchen, clothes dryer) kicked on draft may have reversed. Good for you having the CO detector.

Does the boiler or the wood stove have an outside air supply?

Yes the boiler draws outside air from the other side of the basement. The wood stove is on the other side of the basement, separated by a wall. The room with the stove was insulated with the spray-foam type which is virtually airtight. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Thanks

We can all learn from your experience. Glad you had a CO detector. One should probably come with every stove sold.

I feel more comfortable with an outside air kit feeding the stove. It seems to me, that if the stove operates in its own world and there's less to go wrong in my world.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.