Cast iron stove top protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sotos

Mar 10, 2022
Greece
Hi ,
I m a newbie ...I ll have my first wood stove tomorrow!
The stove has a place on the top for placing a teapot etc .
So I would like to have something to put between the beautiful glossy cast iron stove top and the kettle.So far I couldn t find anything soft and nonmetal that won t scratch the surface ......except perhaps a silly idea of a diy fire resistant cord pattern ????
Any suggestions of something soft non metal non scratchy and heat resistant??

A sheet of fiberglass or ceramic gasket material would probably work.

When you say "glossy", I assume an enameled stove. Likely, anything you place on there semi-permanently, is apt to cause some shadow or difference in aging of the glossy enamel. Given your very reason for interest in this, I assume this may bother you, so proceed with caution, and evaluate as you go.

Likely, after a year or two of use, everything will even out, unless you keep an item planted in the same place all the time.

I used to keep a cast steaming pot on one of my old enameled Jotul Firelights, without any protection between the enamels of the stove top and the pot. Never noticed any marks, but the stove was already more than a decade old when I started doing this, and the initial gloss had been reduced to a nice low-gloss satin, by that point.

Reactions: Mt Bob
You can check into Obiah's Stoves and they have cast iron stove tops but they are expensive and also you could get some trivets like the former poster suggested...Here is a picture of mine standing up end with two trivets...clancey

stove top 001.JPG

I have a slab of soapstone on top of my stove . . . but I think that would kinda defeat the look you are going for in terms of being able to see the top of the stove and its finish.