Cast v steel temp difference ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybonfire

Feeling the Heat
Jul 6, 2012
Lancashire NW England.
Hi folks and a merry Christmas to all.
Well Santa brought me an IR temp gun and I have been putting it to the test.
I noticed that the stove top which is steel generally is about 400-450f when in active burn but the top of the cast iron stove door gets to 600f or more.
Wondering if this is because the door is cast and has better heat holding properties or just because that is the hottest spot on the stove ?
Any thoughts on this.

Billy.

It is probably location based. I would bet that you can find different temp ranges even on the steel stove top. It is not unusual for corner temps to be cooler than by the flu outlet.

Hi Jags,
Yes I get different readings at different spots on the stove top, just thought that the big difference between the top and the top of the door may be due to the top being steel and the door cast.
Could just be that that is the hottest spot, I noticed that when the secondaries are going they go towards that spot.

Thanks

Billy.

Probably so. Steel vs. Cast at a steady state will have very little difference between the two as far as temps go. There could be some noticeable differences during a "change" in temps, but that has more to do with mass than the materials themselves (cast generally being heavier).

Steel and cast iron have different thermal conductivities and different emissivities. Given identical conditions you will read different temps on the different materials. In these discussions I've tried posting the math before but most folks won't believe the numbers when they don't fit their preconseved notions.......

Steel and cast iron have different thermal conductivities and different emissivities. Given identical conditions you will read different temps on the different materials. In these discussions I've tried posting the math before but most folks won't believe the numbers when they don't fit their preconseved notions.......

I agree totally, but in the real world of wood stoves do you think the temps differences are substantial?

Thanks again Jags, thought I may be missing heat having a steel bodied stove as the cast door noticeably hotter.
Guess steel body and cast door may be best of both, body heats up quicker, door holds heat longer :)

Billy.

Thanks again Jags, thought I may be missing heat having a steel bodied stove as the cast door noticeably hotter.
Jeremy brings forth good info on this stuff, I have seen it before. He is correct that there is different properties between the two types - I am just not sure of how much real world difference there is when it comes to the world of wood stoves.

I think you'll find big temperature differences on all stoves no matter how they are built.

Status
Not open for further replies.