Cat price - point of diminishing returns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sutphenj

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2010
West MI
For you cat guys out there (full time burners) and hypothetically speaking what is the price point for a cat at which you would say switch back to a non-cat or perhaps flip on the ol furnance.

For you cat guys out there (full time burners) and hypothetically speaking what is the price point for a cat at which you would say switch back to a non-cat or perhaps flip on the ol furnance.

Never on switching back. Doubt you will get many takers on that point.

Love hitting the furnace switch for a few weeks each winter. Means I'm on the water fishing where its warm and salty.
Now my gas delivery guy just stops out while filling my neighbors to B.S. and threaten to burn up my wood piles.:cool:

My opinion only FWIW.

Never, at any price. Seriously.

I’m at the end of my third year on my cats, one behaves as if brand new (still super hyperactive), and the other acts like it’s at mid-life. 15,000 hours on each. I never got that sort of cat life out of my Jotuls, but these BKs seem real gentle on cats.

In the past I've had gotten 10 years of life at a cost of $200 or less per catalyst. That's only $20/yr for the benefit of more heat and very little creosote. Even double the cost would still be worth it. What's my top dollar? Can't say, but doesn't matter because the actual price is way less than my top dollar.

Reactions: Ashful
I'd say somewhere in the $100 range per year then I'd bail on a cat stove. But I'm ending my 4th year and it's still doing fine. So that's down to $43.75 a year. If I can push it after a good bath next year would be $35 a year. Well worth it.

Reactions: diverscale
Never for me, too. Having previously had a tube stove, I would never go back. It is that much better. It's a little more work for maintenance, but well worth it.

Don't forget about the prorated cat rebate you get on some new cat stoves. It's not much after a couple years but every bit helps with that 10 year rebate.

I have tried most types of stoves out there and certain cat stove manufacturers win hands down at the moment when it comes to ROI.

Like others have already said, never. Within a short period, we figured the Buck had already pulled its weight and recouped the cost. Now it's a matter of principle, keeping the house warm and not paying the propane or electric company. Money in our pocket, we use it to maintain the 91. Hope this helps

Id have a cat stove but I have yet to find one that's as small as my Drolet 1800i.
All the cat stoves I know of are 2.3 cu ft or larger and my 1.8 cu ft Drolet barely fits in the fireplace.

Same here. Never switch. I’m finishing up my third burn season on a cat of mostly 24/7 burning. Cat could use a bath but it’s still firing just fine.

Well, never say never, but a commodities bull market just ended about 3-5 years ago. It is unlikely prices of Palladium and Platinum will go up very much in the next ten years or so. OTOH this might be a good time to put a spare cat or two away in the attic just in case.

Reactions: bholler
Come on you guys there is no way you can say you would never switch. I seriously doubt cat prices will ever get to a point that with decent cat life it would cost to much for most people. But there has to be a point where you would say it isnt worth it. I think rearscreens price of 100 a year is probably about where most would honestly draw the line.

Reactions: diverscale
Obviously this thread represents a tiny blip of the total cat users out there. That said given the feedback on "price is not a factor" it would seem that the cat producers might be missing out on a serious pricing opportunity. While it might not be a sexy space i'm not sure whats stopping some PE group from scooping up a few cat companies and jacking the price.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Obviously this thread represents a tiny blip of the total cat users out there. That said given the feedback on "price is not a factor" it would seem that the cat producers might be missing out on a serious pricing opportunity. While it might not be a sexy space i'm not sure whats stopping some PE group from scooping up a few cat companies and jacking the price.
They would find out quickly that price is a factor for most people. We work on many cat stoves with no cat because people couldt afford a new one or just dodnt want to pay for one. Granted most of them are older units that burnt through cats faster. Mainly vermont castings.

There are a lot of factors that go into the decision. Initial and continuing costs and maintenance are very important, but so are getting what fits in the fireplace or home decor, stove features, dealerships, ease of use, fire view, etc.. It's all good, diversity makes the choice personal, more useful and interesting.

Reactions: sutphenj
Well, I'm in the cat seat if Purrcromium goes through the roof as I have a hybrid.

I would switch to a tube stove if I was just doing supplemental heat in the dead of winter- not too much difference between them in that scenario. It would also be ok if I was retired, and had all day to mess with starting fires and managing the temperature indoors.

Having a stove that can do low-and-slow lets me heat with 100% wood in a house where everyone works full time. I don't believe there's a noncat option for that outside of a wood furnace.

Reactions: Tar12
Having a stove that can do low-and-slow lets me heat with 100% wood in a house where everyone works full time. I don't believe there's a noncat option for that outside of a wood furnace.

i heat full time in a rather cold area without a cat stove, the only time the oil boiler is used is if we go away for a few days

Reactions: bholler
I would switch to a tube stove if I was just doing supplemental heat in the dead of winter- not too much difference between them in that scenario. It would also be ok if I was retired, and had all day to mess with starting fires and managing the temperature indoors.

I really dont know why you guys think tube stives take lots of messing with. I load mine 3 times a day and after loading i touch it twice in a span of 10 to 15 mins. Then i am done for 8 to 10 hours.

i heat full time in a rather cold area without a cat stove, the only time the oil boiler is used is if we go away for a few days
As do many many others very happily. I have absolutly nothing against cat stoves they work great for many people. It just bothers me when guys act like that is the only way you can heat your house full time with wood.

As do many many others very happily. I have absolutly nothing against cat stoves they work great for many people. It just bothers me when guys act like that is the only way you can heat your house full time with wood.

When it's 20-30 degrees out, I see your point. When it's 40-50, I do not. I grew up with noncat stoves.

When it's 20-30 degrees out, I see your point. When it's 40-50, I do not. I grew up with noncat stoves.
I heat just fine when it is 40 or 50 out with my non cat. And no i dont open a window . Yes at those temps a cat stove would be easier. But doing it with a non cat is not hard at all.

Reactions: Happy Stacker

My parent have had had no other source of heat in their house for over 40 years now. And they have never had a cat stove. Same for my uncle and many of our customers. There are many many non cat options that will do it just fine