Cat price - point of diminishing returns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I expect to burn 6 to 7 face cords this year to heat my entire house. It has been a very cold winter in Montreal and I kept the temperature in the room where the stove is above 25c at all time. I have no proof but I doubt I could have done it without the Ashford. I agree most people on this forum are wood stoves fanatics. Most people don’t care about wood stoves in general

So you think you would use 44% more wood with a tube stove? What are you basing that on?
Ummm. No. Not 44%. That’s high. With similar homes and similar climates what are averaging a season on your setup?

Ummm. No. Not 44%. That’s high. With similar homes and similar climates what are averaging a season on your setup?
Well you burn 3 cords you say you could buy 2 cats with the wood savings and wood is 100 a face which is 1/3 of a cord. So that would be 1 and 1/3 of a cord. Which would mean an increase of 44%

I have only been in my current house for one season now but i am on track for 3 to 3.25 cords this year. My house ontop of a ridge in central pa with lots of wind is a ranch with 1100 sq ft first floor and the same finished basement stove in the basement.

Reactions: sutphenj
You dont work in the field and hear people complain when you tell them they need a new cat. Or see the number of cat stoves with no cats in them.

Honestly the regulars on thos site are not at all representative of the average wood burner. Most of us that are here all the time are a little fanatical about it and will pay to have things right. Many others either cannot or will not pay.
Or secondary combustion units with missing tubes, warped baffles or even missing cerablankets. All stoves require maintenance...and skilled, educated sweeps or service staff to address the needs.

Reactions: Ashful
Or secondary combustion units with missing tubes, warped baffles or even missing cerablankets. All stoves require maintenance...and skilled, educated sweeps or service staff to address the needs.
Yes but for the most part for those parts to go bad in a tube stove it needs to be abused. Cats wear out no matter what you do. Like i said before right now for most people the cost of replacement cats is not much of a burden at all. And i dont see that changing. But claiming a 30% price increase wouldnt effect the market is off base in.my opinion.

Not sure what my price point would be. My particular cat would be about $300 right now. I am on the original with 2 years on it. But I would also have to buy a new stove etc.

I also use a good bit less wood - IN MY EXPERIENCE - with a nice whole house heater (Buck Model 91) that I feel safe leaving fully loaded.

Yes but for the most part for those parts to go bad in a tube stove it needs to be abused. Cats wear out no matter what you do. Like i said before right now for most people the cost of replacement cats is not much of a burden at all. And i dont see that changing. But claiming a 30% price increase wouldnt effect the market is off base in.my opinion.

There is no abuse when as sweep cleans stackstack then discover cerablanket is covered with debris...wads it up and tosses it. Industry met with sweeps on a few occasions during promulgation of NSPS and this practice is not uncommon at all.

There is no abuse when as sweep cleans stackstack then discover cerablanket is covered with debris...wads it up and tosses it. Industry met with sweeps on a few occasions during promulgation of NSPS and this practice is not uncommon at all.
That is abuse by the sweep then. I am not saying anything negative about cat stoves. Just pointing out that those who claim there is no price at which replacing cats wouldnt make sense are not being truthful.

Well you burn 3 cords you say you could buy 2 cats with the wood savings and wood is 100 a face which is 1/3 of a cord. So that would be 1 and 1/3 of a cord. Which would mean an increase of 44%

I have only been in my current house for one season now but i am on track for 3 to 3.25 cords this year. My house ontop of a ridge in central pa with lots of wind is a ranch with 1100 sq ft first floor and the same finished basement stove in the basement.
If 3 is all I end up burning than your math is correct and my statement is wrong. 2 cats is an excessive guesstimation.
If you get away with 3.25 cord I would say that’s a hell of a season.
This is why we are both on this site. I am here to learn and you are here to educate.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
If 3 is all I end up burning than your math is correct and my statement is wrong. 2 cats is an excessive guesstimation.
If you get away with 3.25 cord I would say that’s a hell of a season.
This is why we are both on this site. I am here to learn and you are here to educate.
When i did the calulations i came up with 3 to 4 cords so i am about where i expected.