Catalyst protection with cold gasses - follow up question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rashomon

Jan 14, 2018
Denver, CO
I want to understand this and found what is probably my answer but it's too vague for my understanding.

I allow my GreenMountain60 to burn out every night with the bypass closed and want to either
1) Make sure doing this isn't shortening the life of my catalyst and therefore the bypass should be opened at night, or,
2) Since colder gasses are okay at the end of the burn than in the morning when I start my fire it's okay to close the bypass early so long as I have a good fire going.

This question was asked in 2018 here - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/prolonging-catalyst-lifespan.170785/post-2292342

Although the question is more about possible heat shock to a cold catalyst. BKVP posted with some knowledge about moisture and says to look at burn charts, but I can't find the burn charts he's referring to. I imagine his statement "first stage of combustion...boiling water out of fuel..no measurable moisture at end of burn." is the answer, but wanted to follow up about this burn chart. He mentions "We need "catalyst conversion" to begin before we shove 100% of gases thru the combustor"-- to clarify he means "closing the bypass", correct? I don't know if he actually means there is a way to shove less than 100% of gases using a particular stove. (yeah, I'm probably reading into this)

Yes. Get the combustor up to temperature before closing the bypass.

And colder gases going through a colder (already inactive) cat at the end of a burn are fine too. There is no need to open the bypass when you let the stove go cold and the cat drops out of the active range.

Reactions: rashomon
Thanks! It was the explanation that the concern is regarding thermal shock which is the issue.

For some reason I thought another issue would be creasote buildup which in my mind could happen at the end of the burn cycle when the temp falls to the inactive range and wood starts to smolder. Is that not a concern?

No, at the end of a burn, (almost) no creosote is produced.

Reactions: rashomon
Great! I'll stop worrying then!

Thanks! It was the explanation that the concern is regarding thermal shock which is the issue.

For some reason I thought another issue would be creasote buildup which in my mind could happen at the end of the burn cycle when the temp falls to the inactive range and wood starts to smolder. Is that not a concern?