Catalytic Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrprusak

Nov 16, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
For the BKK at what temperature is considered the "Active" zone? maybe 500F?? All the paint worn off my thermostat in less than 2 years. Anybody know of a glass sealed thermostat replacement? Replacement from Blaze King are a-bit spendy. Any affordable replacements out there?? A glass sealed one would be ideal...thanks

500 degrees is the temperature when the Cat goes active.

Note,the cat probe will always give at least the stove top temp even if the cat is inactive. Also if the fans are on it will mess the reading up.

I noticed the lower probe temp with the fan on. I was thinking of placing a rounded metal shroud around the probe to direct fan air around the probe....

If it is two years old and the paint is so far gone that you can't tell if it is active or inactive then I have to wonder what the heck you did to cause it? If you weren't scrubbing it with something to remove the paint then it is a defect and I'd bet you could have a replacement shipped from condar or BK.

Two years is nothing. I burn 9 months out of the year, probably not much less than you, and the face of my cat meter is nearly perfect with all of the white ticks around the outside still intact.

Your question though was what temp and yeah, that first tick just over the active line was supposed to be 500 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.