Cedar Transformer Poles: Thoughts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
My buddy works for National Grid and he just let me know he has about 8 very large Cedar Transformer Poles that I can have. He guarantees me that they are natural and not treated in any way. He say's they are about 20' long and at least 18" in diameter. Have to let him know by this weekend... Anyone burn Cedar? If so...How is it? Thanks...

Cedar burns hot, but like most pines, it isn't a long-burning wood. I'd say go for it, so long as you are absolutely POSITIVE they poles aren't treated with creosote or copper sulfate......

Reactions: Jags
Like Soctty says, I would want to be sure it wasn't treated...don't want to roast a combustor. If not treated, I would probably split it down to kindling; I hear Cedar is Super for that... ==c

Kindling!

Reactions: blujacket
I split, stack, and burn eastern red cedar. It burns fast and hot. I'd get 'em if you are guaranteed they are virgin cedar, untreated in any way.

I get the same poles off my father in law and they work great for kindling!

I agree on the kindling.

Got the poles today!!!! Great guy that Steve is. He cut them to 18" length. They are roughly 16" in diameter. 18 pieces delivered to me after work in his truck! 1 full face cord of untreated cedar. Garage smells like a forest. Think I will split them down for kindling. 1 load down 2 to go when he gets back from vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.