central boiler questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99oilburner

Feb 1, 2010
southcentral pa
my buddy has an older central boiler he is looking to sell he bought it used from a guy and wasn't in operation since. he gave 800.00 for it and said I can have it for what he paid. Anything I should look for on the unit that would mean its not good anymore?. He said the guy he got it from filled it with water and it didn't leak but never had a fire in it. Is this a good deal or let it where its at and forget about it. Thanks Brad

Heck of a deal if it doesn't leak....however, you should be aware there is a lot of controversy as well as legislation pertaining to the use of older (dirtier) OWB's.

Check around the net, etc. for all the stories and pending legislation...to make sure something like this will suit you.

Also, be aware that you will be burning wood at very low efficiencies - you'll be lucky if 25-30% of the actual heat value from the wood makes it into your house living area.

/\
/ \
/ \
l
l
l
l

Webbie has it pretty well summed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.