Certification for home heating fuel for residential use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skives19

Oct 23, 2016
Michigan
Can anyone explain the certification for home heating fuel for residential use in Michigan? Where you are only charged 4% sales tax on wood pellets. They said where I bought my wood pellets I have to claim it on my taxes. Thanks for the help.

This is the law where if you buy something for less tax then the state tax.. they want YOU to pay the extra tax. I have been buying on-line since 2000 and never added anything I bought on line. Basically it's a guilt tax. Unless you buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff and don't pay the State / local taxes they will hunt you down and make you pay the tax.... so if you feel guilty, you need to figure out the tax not paid to heat your home and send it to the statehouse for them to waste. So how lucky do you feel ?

If anyone wants to pay my taxes in order to rid themselves of guilt, just PM me and I'll let you know where to mail your payment.

Some places charge the 4% and some 6%. The reason is they don't want to mess with the change in the cash register or point of sale computer. Yes you can get the extra 2% back on your taxes but make sure you save your receipts so you have the proof.
Ron

Can anyone explain the certification for home heating fuel for residential use in Michigan? Where you are only charged 4% sales tax on wood pellets. They said where I bought my wood pellets I have to claim it on my taxes. Thanks for the help.

Heating farm shop with the pellets, tax exempt.