Chain question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
I'd like to use the same chain between both of my saws so I can use my fancy Stihl 2-in-1 sharpener on both.

Here's the chain I'm using on my 441:

0a649560f9b7a2332b9e94d598a04f2e.jpg

And here's the one that's on my Husqy 440e:

3446abcc16f49831bee823a7002e540f.jpg

Can I use this chain on my Husqy bar? I mean in 16" size, of course.

I'd like to use the same chain between both of my saws so I can use my fancy Stihl 2-in-1 sharpener on both.

Here's the chain I'm using on my 441:

View attachment 194753

And here's the one that's on my Husqy 440e:

View attachment 194754

Can I use this chain on my Husqy bar? I mean in 16" size, of course.
No you can't as the Stihl is running 3/8ths 50 ga. 20 inch chain?

Probably just easier and cheaper to switch out round files for your 2-in-1 sharpener.

They're both .050" and yes, the Stihl is a 20" and the Husqy is a 16" bar. Wondering if I can buy a 16" version of the same chain to run on the Husqy bar.
With the right amount of drive links.Check with a Husky dealer and see what they say. I used to have a hodge podge of chains,gauges,pitches...man that got old! I currently have EVERYTHING set to run 3/8ths 50 ga. RS Stihl chain..this includes the 260 Pros up to the 660...so much simpler...

Reactions: Rangerbait
With the right amount of drive links.Check with a Husky dealer and see what they say. I used to have a hodge podge of chains,gauges,pitches...man that got old! I currently have EVERYTHING set to run 3/8ths 50 ga. RS Stihl chain..this includes the 260 Pros up to the 660...so much simpler...

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to accomplish

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to accomplish
On the smaller Stihls it was as simple as swapping out the .325 sprockets for 3/8ths sprockets and bars. I bet it will be that simple on your Husky.

In order to use the same chain on both saws you will need to change the bar and the drive sprocket on one of them to match the other one. That means you either convert the .325 chain saw to use 3/8 or you convert the 3/8 saw to use .325. The pitch has to match between drive sprocket and bar end sprocket and both need to match the chain pitch. It can be done but it would be cheaper to use different files for each chain than to convert. Even a 16 inch bar is not cheap.
My Stihl 026 has a .325 pitch .063 gauge bar on it and my Husky 555 uses a 3/8 pitch .050 gauge bar. I just have a few extra files so I can switch my Granberg file-n-joint between them when I need to sharpen one chain or the other. If you have that fancy Stihl sharpener with the file and flat file all in one holder, just get another one for the other style chain and use the right one for each application. If you start changing drive sprockets and bars you may end up with a power mismatch compared to the OEM match. Each manufacturer uses whichever drivepitch and gauge they think works best on their saw and you change that at your peril since each pitch and gauge requires slightly different power to cut right and your new combination may not be as good a match.

In order to use the same chain on both saws you will need to change the bar and the drive sprocket on one of them to match the other one. That means you either convert the .325 chain saw to use 3/8 or you convert the 3/8 saw to use .325. The pitch has to match between drive sprocket and bar end sprocket and both need to match the chain pitch. It can be done but it would be cheaper to use different files for each chain than to convert. Even a 16 inch bar is not cheap.
My Stihl 026 has a .325 pitch .063 gauge bar on it and my Husky 555 uses a 3/8 pitch .050 gauge bar. I just have a few extra files so I can switch my Granberg file-n-joint between them when I need to sharpen one chain or the other. If you have that fancy Stihl sharpener with the file and flat file all in one holder, just get another one for the other style chain and use the right one for each application. If you start changing drive sprockets and bars you may end up with a power mismatch compared to the OEM match. Each manufacturer uses whichever drivepitch and gauge they think works best on their saw and you change that at your peril since each pitch and gauge requires slightly different power to cut right and your new combination may not be as good a match.

Thanks for making confirming my idea is a non-starter...much obliged!

Why not just buy another fancy 2 in 1 sharpener?? If you dont want to pay $40+ for the Stihl go to Ebay and search for Pferd. It looks exactly like the Stihl but is blue. I have 2 with no complaints.

Reactions: Rangerbait