Chainsaw opinion please..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
A friend is selling his dad's Stihl 028 Farm Boss w/20" bar . Probably 10 years old or so, but hasn't been used for 7. Newly serviced, and well maintained thru the years. $170.

I'm bucking 3 or 4 cords of scrounged hard and softwoods/ year in suburbia. For now I have to wait for my dad to come over with his Homelite, or use my elec. pruning saw in desperation.

Is this a good saw for the price? Saving some cash would be a good thing.

Thanks in advance,
Gabe

If this saw has had minimal use it could be worth the price but I doubt it. Second a 20 inch bar is to much in my opinion. I own the same saw.If you are able to get it for $150 then I would take it.This was one of Stihl's best built saws, Ken

Look it over and then take it for a test drive. Bring a round over and run the saw through it. It doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Matt

Sure helps when you know who your buying from

I would offer him $150 and tell him you need the extra $20 to buy a smaller bar and chain (but would still buy it for $170). I would put a 16" on it and then just save the 20" for the rare occasion when you need it.

That's a good saw for the price, I'd buy it. Offer $130 settle on $150, run the 20" bar until it is worn out, then down size if you wish to.

$150 seems to be the going price.... got rained out this weekend, but I'll try to demo the saw after work this week.
I like the 16" bar idea. 20" does seem like a bit much for what I'll be using it for.

Thanks for the input everyone.
G

Status
Not open for further replies.