Chamber Parging Necessary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ragz125

Jan 12, 2021
Dallas, TX
New to the site - thanks in advance for any help! Long story short, bought a house back in August, didn't have an in depth chimney inspection, just the general home inspection that pointed out some cracks in the firebox. No big deal, just some filler mortar for those. We just had our chimney swept today, though, and he pointed out those cracks, but also pointed out that our smoke chamber had some cracks that would require a "chamber parging". Quoted about $1,000... I took a look (a complete rookie, never owned my own fireplace), and from my own looking, it seems like the crack just needs some sealing, but the chamber is parged already...

We have a gas log fireplace, it used to be wood burning. Risk of fire for us is likely minimal with no embers or smoke or anything - but from a principle perspective, not sure what to do. Do that attached screenshots look like a big $1,000 job? Or do they look like a pretty simple fix, or just not something to worry about? The guy that did the sweep was open and honest, and said personally it's probably not a big deal, but professionally it should be fixed. There was also some leftover crystallized creosote around the damper, so as far as quality of workmanship goes... I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help! (This is only the back side of the chamber, I couldn't get pictures of/he didn't have an inspection camera for the front side).

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.17.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.17.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.19.19 PM.png

I say you don't have a problem to worry about, especially since you are using gas logs.

Reactions: ragz125
I wouldn't parge that those small cracks won't cause a problem. But for the record gas logs have exactly the same requirements as burning wood.

Reactions: ragz125
I wouldn't parge that those small cracks won't cause a problem. But for the record gas logs have exactly the same requirements as burning wood.
Thanks! Yeah I guess I knew that objectively, a chimney is a chimney. The chimney sweep that serviced it just mentioned that those cracks (including the two smaller vertical ones up top - not sure if you saw those. He thought those were joints missing mortar, not just cracks) could allow embers or ash to get to insulation, which could cause a fire. That's why I assumed a set of gas logs wouldn't be an issue since there's no ash/embers etc.