"Cheap" airflow project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapBassTurd

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
Indiana/ Michigan border
Taking my recently moved out 19 y.o. son a snow shovel, (the one he used to use) to save a buck anywhere he can
just like the ol' man, drove past a window fan unit sticking out of a garbage can. Being an avid dumpster diver
I snatched it up on the way back and got to work. We've hadda box fan hanging in the stoveroom and one at the
opposite cold end blowing cold return air. Effective but ugly. One side ran great but stopped immediately when
shut off. The other side ran slow and was humming. No small wonder it was tossed. I knew it was fine but
never serviced. No one services a fan, except me. (They dont break down unless a blade actually breaks.)
Fan project 005.JPG Fan project 008.JPG Fan project 015.JPG Fan project 016.JPG
This thing belonged to smokers. Yellow, and full of crud. Hairs wound around the motor shafts, it was truly
garbage. Took the brush and some bleach water to remake it white again. From the pic, you can see the main
barrels were fine though. Cleaned up the motor bodies a bit and a dab of grease on a Q-tip shoved down
both lower caps completed the bottom end "rebuild". Measured and put a board where the box fan used to
hang ugly. Put the thing back together all shiny and white, tucked the wire to hide it, and there it is. Warm air
blowing down towards the bedrooms. The fan itself is not mounted so it can be turned towards the right of the Christmas
tree where mama's daycare room is. (dining room, table in kitchen) Price: Zero. Labor: Bored anyway.
Have a warm day, fellow stovers!

Good for you!
You have made something useful that otherwise would add to landfill (and saved the garbage men work).

For an item that is expected to turn millions and millions of revolutions in its lifetime, I still don't understand why they have omitted oil holes for the shafts. A drop of light oil on a shaft and bushing can darn near last forever if maintanted properly.
Good job on giving that poor thing a little love.

Never understood that one either, Jag.
That, and many other simple anomalies that make ya buy/ replace stuff sooner.
It's all about the cash, as most of us know. Especially the automotive industry!!
They are removing the backyard mechanic as best they can. Old owner's manuals included wheel bearing repacks n' such.
Now, we're lucky to find a transmission dipstick, especially on Chrysler products.

Relating to us, plastic drive gears on a chainsaw. Like, REALLY????
Got my eye on a 1970's saw at the pawnshop............ Metal everything, even the housing.

Brilliant! Just remember to duck!

Jay,
The main walkway is to the left. That's an in-home glassless window
that only goes halfway to the floor. lol

Jags,
Another one crossed my mind as of late. When our furnace motor took a crap a few
years back, naturally we called the company on the lil' sticker and they quoted $278/ $378 installed.
So, I pulls the thing out and went to Tri-State Electric and asked if they could match it up.
They easily could and did. They only needed to know the wire hookups, rotation direction, and shaft diameter.
Walked out with the motor and full verbal instructions/ precautions for under $150. It hadda warranty and an
oil drop hole on each end of the housing. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.