Cheapest/easiest to build wood kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
well given that you dont know i would do a 4 .5 cord shed.. that would give you 2.25cords per year and a 2 year drying cycle. that being said you would need a shed that is 4.5 w x 20 L x 6.5 H . you need a shed that has alot of roof overhang as well as vented so that the summer prevailing winds go into the shed.
20190211_071554.jpg
20170217_161137.jpg

how much are you burning per season
well given that you dont know i would do a 4 .5 cord shed.. that would give you 2.25cords per year and a 2 year drying cycle. that being said you would need a shed that is 4.5 w x 20 L x 6.5 H . you need a shed that has alot of roof overhang as well as vented so that the summer prevailing winds go into the shed.
View attachment 253920View attachment 253921

i was hoping for something more simple with maybe plastic or something?

Just get a roll of plastic from HD or Lowes and wrap it watertight and cut a couple of vent holes. If you have time and carpentry skills look at Poindexters threads but it's not necessary although it does make it easier for future years.

I literally wrapped the wood with plastic allowing air in from the bottom and cutting 2 small holes in the upper corners. My fresh cut oak was 22% after September and October. Next year im starting one earlier. Looked ugly but on a 80 degree day the inside got up around 130

Reactions: Indiana wood