Check out this one i cleaned today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
..I did...but I'm not sure how to narrow down 66 pages of 30 results/page to "chimney sweeping"...
and 67 pages of results for "how to sweep a chimney". I tried to check through the "media" section
but couldn't see what I was looking for...I might have used the wrong parameters?...

Honestly, I did several google searches (which only gave me tons of ads of companies that will come
and clean it for me plus one book-to-buy) and watched several youtube how-tos. Is it really that un-complicated?

...I only want to clean my stovepipe and save a few dollars; not anyone else's.

and Thank you Manly, but I don't need to research Mary Poppins--after 5 children watched it a combined
total of 4,578 times, I can quote it verbatim, sing all the songs (off-key!) and dance along as well! :D :D

begreen: I'll look up the sooteater. thank you!

Post a couple pics of your chimney, that would be a good start.

Our old woodfurnace, I've removed many 5 gallon buckets of creosote from it. The chimney is 32 feet high and we had a 7x11 clay liner in it. When I lined the chimney, there were areas that had glazing over an inch thick. It took alot of time to clean things up prior to lining. Glad those days are over!

Reactions: bholler
i'd hire the sweep the first time and watch how he does it, from looking at your stove pics it looks like you should be able to remove your baffle (if your stove has that option, most do) and go straight up with a soot eater

Reactions: ispinwool
Reactions: ispinwool
This site is probably biased...I feel like a failure when I get 2 cups. (And I'm not even cleaning one of my chimneys this year after not doing much burning last year...shhhh).

I'm one of those in the cup/year camp. How many in the gallons/year group have no way of monitoring the fire with either glass or gauges. Or are those stove chimney combinations just prone to buildup. EPA class A combinations, how many get gallons from those.

Edit:
I have a JotulF500 with a class A chimney. If I started it up cold and slow, there would be a puddle of creosote dripping out the back onto the floor. So the whole thing is really self limiting - either run it right, or deal with the smell of hot creosote in the house.

Last edited:
I'm one of those in the cup/year camp. How many in the gallons/year group have no way of monitoring the fire with either glass or gauges. Or are those stove chimney combinations just prone to buildup. EPA class A combinations, how many get gallons from those.

Edit:
I have a JotulF500 with a class A chimney. If I started it up cold and slow, there would be a puddle of creosote dripping out the back onto the floor. So the whole thing is really self limiting - either run it right, or deal with the smell of hot creosote in the house.
I wonder how dry your wood is.

So....ya know how y'all helped me find my broken baffle LAST MONTH....
I called the shop I bought our woodburner from to order a new baffle on Nov 19.
I still don't have it and cancelled the order today. Is it so very hard to say
"sorry lady, we can't get one" in a timely manner?

Hubby and I discussed it and decided that having a chimney sweep come and
do a proper inspection/cleaning was worth the money/peace of mind. The guys were here
this morning---they put in some kind of fireproof insulation patch over the baffle holes
until I can find a new one.

Now to find a baffle....

Last edited:
Someone (@DAKSY ?) recently posted in another thread that he found ceramic baffle board in sheets somewhere. No time to dig further atm, sorry.

Apparently hardiebacker can last a few months in a pinch, and you can pick that up today for ten bucks while you get the permanent baffle sorted.

thanks for the info!
I'll look into it :-D

What no firebox pictures? Does something like that just give off a massive amount of radiant heat!? I dont understand why it would be THAT big.

Reactions: Bushels20
It has an insulated liner it meets all clearances it is just a rediculous stove that cant possibly be run clean. She already knew it needed to go

Is it a stove or a wood furnace? Meaning does it force air through the duct work? I can’t imagine how hot that little room would get.

Is it a stove or a wood furnace? Meaning does it force air through the duct work? I can’t imagine how hot that little room would get.
Just a stove. And it isn't a little room it is a full open basement

Sadly 10+ gals is not that uncommon. There is one place we take 20 to 30 gals out every year. The most i ever took out of a chimney was about 65 gals. We now clean that place every year and get 15 to 20 a year.

The lady with this stove just got the house when her father died. We have been working on the stove for years but she just ordered a regency 5100 to replace this beast.
The most i ever got was from a 20 foot taall fireplace chimney, 8x13 tile...... filled two of those big plastic tubs with rope handles..... took 3hrs.....put tubs in fp then ran vac and sealed with plastic. Brushed from top 1 inch at a time. It wasn't drawing btw lol

I used to get a gallon or two twice a year from my old wood/coal stove through a 7x11 uninsulated lined clay tile outside flue.

I did a midseason clean out on my fireplace today and just enough fell out to make some black dust on the bottom. Chimney was still pretty warm, so any fine dust would have been drawn out. Thankfully I read on this site about sooteater; my roof is too steep for me to walk on, and i hate to pester the guy i know with a bucket truck too much.

The guys were here
this morning---they put in some kind of fireproof insulation patch over the baffle holes
until I can find a new one.

Now to find a baffle....
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this before now, but search "ceramic insulation board" (or ceramic fiber board) on ebay or amazon...there are lots of choices will come up. Choose the thickness you need, often times it will be a big enough piece to get more than one baffle from an order...that's up to you how big a piece you get.
Once you get it, you will need to cut the board to the size you need...easily done on a board with a sharp razor knife. Good idea to wear a quality dust mask while you work with it.
You can also buy this stuff from a local kiln supply store too...

Reactions: Rich L