Cherry pits pilled in pot, Englander Multi,works better with stirrer? Fabricate one w/smaller arms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NChap85

Jan 3, 2015
Willow Street, PA
The manual says to remove the stirrer when burning cherry pits. burns better with it in. would like to make one that isnt so close to the burn pot when the arms spin. It piles up in the pot, if not agitated at all. I wake up to a over flowing pot of pits. WOULD LIKE TO ADD The HEAT from these is way more than any pellets. I've had the HEAT Setting on 1 and room blower at 4 and it never kicks the room blower off to make the fire box warmer, (which it will if higher than 1 blower with pellets) telling me the myth is true Cherry pits burn crazy hot.
First i want everyone to know that EVERY Square INCH is completly CLEANED, burn pot, under the deflector, exhaust, heat exchanger with a pipe cleaner brush and vacumm...YES spotless!
Now that we got that out of the way,,,
I UNDERSTAND it says run stove without it, I assume because they push broken pieces into the burn pot holes potentially clogging it & get jammed between the stirrer arms potentially throwing out bearings/motor? This being said, since it piles up without any agitation, I was going to make one, with shorter arms (at the Machine shop at work) and set stirrer to come on here and there, which has been my only luck for not having a pile and waste of fuel.
any thoughts please? and thanks

Have you had the time to sit and tend to manually stirring the pot? Does it fix the porblem?

If the fuel is piling up it would suggest more air to feed the fire, is that possible? Quessing you are looking to shorten the arms so the pits can fit between the arm and the burnpot without crushing them into the pot? In time it would be expected that the arms will erode anyway, building a short version would be a fair test in my book. I've ran a stirrer on my pc45, it makes scraping the burnpot a treat, and i do know that when pellets or corn get lodged between the stirrer and the pot it make a fair amount of crunching. So far the motor has won the fights but i'd think it will take it's toll in time.

Good to hear about other fuels, baged or bulk? and how much a ton?

On the shorter armed version you plan, are you increasing the distance between arms to avoid pits being stuck between them?

Keep us posted and remember ... pics or it didn't happen:)

PS - Where does one get cherry pits?

Just need to ask the obvious question, are you running in cherry pit mode?

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
On the shorter armed version you plan, are you increasing the distance between arms to avoid pits being stuck between them?

Have you had the time to sit and tend to manually stirring the pot? Does it fix the porblem?

If the fuel is piling up it would suggest more air to feed the fire, is that possible? Quessing you are looking to shorten the arms so the pits can fit between the arm and the burnpot without crushing them into the pot? In time it would be expected that the arms will erode anyway, building a short version would be a fair test in my book. I've ran a stirrer on my pc45, it makes scraping the burnpot a treat, and i do know that when pellets or corn get lodged between the stirrer and the pot it make a fair amount of crunching. So far the motor has won the fights but i'd think it will take it's toll in time.

Good to hear about other fuels, baged or bulk? and how much a ton?

Thanks so much for the reply, I was in cherry pit mode, but now, changed only the last number to a 1 (at first) it never moved the stirrer, so i moved the last # to a 2 so it turns (wish it tould turn just a little slower) It has the OAK installed not blocked, & working great...heck I can feel the cold air under the fire box blowing in..LOL
I was opening the door "befor with no stirrer" and mixing it with my wood stove poker, what a pain.
I bought them in Myerstown pa, about an hour from me ($10.00 in fuel) filled my truck and trailer with over a ton BAGGED $6.00 a bag, but the pellets here for CHEAP JUNK no-name wood pellets are $5.99 and 29cents off a bag if I buy a ton. For $275 a Ton PLUS 3 bags was ok with me (since their hotter and burn longer)
I WILL UPDATE...thanks again, for your imput

Also, I have 2 or more inches between arms, if pits get stuck they must be godzilla cherry pits, never a seen a cherry pit 2 or more inches, these are lucky to be 1/4 of an inch. and never had a side to side problem, just close to arm and fire pot when spinning

yes cherry pit mode at first and sucked really bad, now running a 1 1 2 bottom 3 #s instead

1 - 1 - 2 in pellet mode? Cherry mode is supposed to have different settings to account for how the pits burn - what does "sucked" mean? Why did you cut airflow (middle number) if pits are piling up? Wouldn't you need more air to help them burn faster?

1 - 1 - 2 in pellet mode? Cherry mode is supposed to have different settings to account for how the pits burn - what does "sucked" mean? Why did you cut airflow (middle number) if pits are piling up? Wouldn't you need more air to help them burn faster?

The tech on the help line said to run a 1 - 1 - 0...I only changed to last # to a 2, to mix it when I'm gone otherwise i leave it at 0. and doesnt pile up at all with an auger.

When I unplug and replug the unit and they say to hold up down arrows release and put heat at 6 for cherry pits then hit the AOT,,, and set at 0. what does the 6 for a heat range do...and i dont mean the same heat range ast when the unit is fired and you can change the heat and bloer settings? does the 6 mode make it feed more or just set a mode... because it seems liek the top auger is g\feeding way more than with pellet mode which is unplug then 4? and AOT at 1.

Trying the unplug, up/down arrows, then heat @ 6, then AOT at 0, right now. I'll take a picture in a few housr and well see what happens, worlds worst typer,

When I unplug and replug the unit and they say to hold up down arrows release and put heat at 6 for cherry pits then hit the AOT,,, and set at 0. what does the 6 for a heat range do...and i dont mean the same heat range ast when the unit is fired and you can change the heat and bloer settings? does the 6 mode make it feed more or just set a mode... because it seems liek the top auger is g\feeding way more than with pellet mode which is unplug then 4? and AOT at 1.

I would assume the heat mode 6 would affect the range of feed rates you get 1-9 and they would be more suitable for cherry pits. I've adjusted the 3rd number to 3 for pellets as it helps to keep the pot cleaner. Hope you can find settings that work, I'd love to try pits in mine, but there aren't any to be had in this area.

Reactions: NChap85
I would assume the heat mode 6 would affect the range of feed rates you get 1-9 and they would be more suitable for cherry pits. I've adjusted the 3rd number to 3 for pellets as it helps to keep the pot cleaner. Hope you can find settings that work, I'd love to try pits in mine, but there aren't any to be had in this area.

I really appreciate your and anyones input.
The company for CHERRY PITS is GREAT LAKES Packing CO. Kenwaldin, MI 49648
website www.greatlakespacking.com
I have the heat on 1 (but the startup unplug mode heat setting at 6 per instructions)...I may reduce this # next time around 4 maybe??, only because Firebox is so hot on a 1 heat 4 blower right now that i think the mode 6 heat feed setting can be turned down since 1 heat is so hot

Last edited:
I really appreciate your and anyones input.
The company for CHERRY PITS is GREAT LAKES Packing CO. Kenwaldin, MI 49648
website www.greatlakespacking.com
I have the heat on 1 (but the startup unplug mode heat setting at 6 per instructions)...I may reduce this # next time around 4 maybe??, only because Firebox is so hot on a 1 heat 4 blower right now that i think the mode 6 heat feed setting can be turned down since 1 heat is so hot

I looked up cherry pits and they claim a BTU of 9500 BTU/lb which is really high. Also, they are smaller than typical pellets, so I'd assume the feed rate on the cherry pit mode was as low as the stove can go? Can't you just keep the heat of the stove from being over hot by running on a lower heat setting?

Reactions: NChap85
www.greatlakespacking.com
I looked up cherry pits and they claim a BTU of 9500 BTU/lb which is really high. Also, they are smaller than typical pellets, so I'd assume the feed rate on the cherry pit mode was as low as the stove can go? Can't you just keep the heat of the stove from being over hot by running on a lower heat setting?

That's what I want to figure out?? I'm on 1 heat 4 blower...is there a 0 heat?...I'm confused...that's why I want to know what that "cherry pit unplug -go to 6" stuff is about cuz once running I'm on 1 heat 4 fan, & never stops to heat the box more...have run as much 1-6 and it's still radiating heat off top...NO PILE UP View attachment 149467as of now...been running for 3 hours. ..manually mixed by holding AOT in once...BUT STIRRER setting back to 0 otherwise

Attachments

• 1420401887959.jpg
    1420401887959.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 93
It's warm today, I would think you'd be happy at the amount of heat the pits are making once it gets cold again. Perhaps there's someone else who's run pits in this stove who can offer some advice.

Thanks, I do appreciate it. Maybe I'll start a new thread on factory feed rates vs heat and blower feed rates. If I can slow fuel feed down for 1 heat...@ heat output vs consumption I can probably get 2.5 days burn out of a bag. Just have to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.