Cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsyltucky Chris

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2014
Nockamixon, Pa
I scored a few trailer loads of rounds off a guy who is frequently clearing his lots. He said it was Black Locust on the phone, but I didn't think so upon seeing it. I grabbed about a cord and a half of Red Oak from him last fall, for free, of course, so I wasn't going to argue. It looks like it's fairly nice wood, so I have no complaints. I'm just curious to find out what it is.

Can anyone ID? TIA

97701e200d40044a79bf3aa882bd3604.png

32d06b453d0d0b04a920ce119c1cb270.png

8c1eadf2ae6723d3f0e5c93dd093e5f2.png

Reactions: Rebelduckman
The cherry I cut in march/April is anywhere between 20-25%. I have 2 cords of red maple and poplar that's 18-20% so I hope those extra few months bring it down a little more.

Did you 45 your corners on the shelf behind your stove? I'm about to do a shelf and just wondered how you had them meet in the corner

Well original plan was to miter 45's into each piece of wood but what ended up happening was since the wood is from a cedar I took down and shaped by hand with an axe, I wanted to stick with the hand hewn look I was going for and figured a 45 might take away from the by hand look, it just so happened that the two ends of each piece seemed to match almost perfectly, height wise that is, one goes flush to the wall and the other butts inTo that. And I really like the rustic not perfect look. So to make the lengths equal on bothe sides I just took off the amount on the one mantel that butts up with the other one if that makes sense. So I stuck with that and honestly the stain is dark enough that you can't notice a distinct meeting area of the two pieces. But if your trying to make it a smooth transition two 45's are the way to go. Good luck! Here are some close ups for you.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I tested a few fresh split faces today and the cherry that I split in March was 15%. It was in log form since the previous summer. Top covered with steel out in the open. Plenty dry for me!

Josh

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Cherry dries quickly and has a very. Distinctive smell to it....

Well original plan was to miter 45's into each piece of wood but what ended up happening was since the wood is from a cedar I took down and shaped by hand with an axe, I wanted to stick with the hand hewn look I was going for and figured a 45 might take away from the by hand look, it just so happened that the two ends of each piece seemed to match almost perfectly, height wise that is, one goes flush to the wall and the other butts inTo that. And I really like the rustic not perfect look. So to make the lengths equal on bothe sides I just took off the amount on the one mantel that butts up with the other one if that makes sense. So I stuck with that and honestly the stain is dark enough that you can't notice a distinct meeting area of the two pieces. But if your trying to make it a smooth transition two 45's are the way to go. Good luck! Here are some close ups for you.

View attachment 141026
View attachment 141027
View attachment 141028

looks great! Especially done with an axe! I think I'm going to do the same thing in the corner. I've got 2 cedar pieces I cut in half with my saw. Obviously, like yours, their far from perfect and that's what I was after. Trying to figure out how I want to mount them to the wall. Here is a pic. Any suggestions?
20141011_123448.jpg

looks great! Especially done with an axe! I think I'm going to do the same thing in the corner. I've got 2 cedar pieces I cut in half with my saw. Obviously, like yours, their far from perfect and that's what I was after. Trying to figure out how I want to mount them to the wall. Here is a pic. Any suggestions?
View attachment 141029
Thank you! It wasn't easy work by any means came out great though. Those are some beautiful pieces of wood. What I would reccomend is some wrought iron corbels, the wrought iron match most stoves well, and are strong enough to hold wood, then stain to your choice or even just a clearcoat. I wouldn't miter those, like I said just make sure the match in length when they're hung to be pleasig on the eyes, decorate to choice. A very straight forward project that changed the whole look of my stove corner. The only idea I toyed with was to take left over cedar branches and place them I make it look like they were holding up the mantels, and I may still do this. Let me know how you make out, hope that helps.

View attachment 141029

Gorgeous stuff guys.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I split some black cherry in April and I was surprised that it was under 20, but I'm still saving it for cooking, get a meter and test it.....

I've been amazed at the short during times of cherry. I'd bet the stuff is ready now.

Status
Not open for further replies.