Chimney cap help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch25

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
ND
I'm getting ready to install a chimney and need some thoughts...

1. Is this air gap at the top of the chimney/cap junction correct? The pipe is Simpson HT triple wall with the internal insulated then a air gap.

2. How in the HECK do I get this cap off!?!?!? I installed it to check for fit and for the life of me I can't get the thing off! I believe it just "snapped" in.

3. Anyone have any pictures of a square cathedral support box install? I can't seem to find any searching...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 8-8-11 055 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 055 (Large) (Small).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 8-8-11 056 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 056 (Large) (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 8-8-11 057 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 057 (Large) (Small).jpg
    17 KB · Views: 202
Unless the cap is labeled wrong it should be the correct on according to the catalog. Page 50 of the Duravent catalog shows it looking just like this one with the outer air gap collar. I agree with you though....all of the caps I have seen have been a twist lock settup.
I might have to pop those screws out and pull it off from the inside diameter....

Not sure what it is about a cathedral ceiling support box you want to see, but there's one installed for the Lopi in my house. Attached is not a great detail pic of the support box. Rick

Attachments

• ridge.jpg
    ridge.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 187
Thanks Fossil! Kind of looking for pics of the roofside installation prior to flashing install.

clutch25 said:
Thanks Fossil! Kind of looking for pics of the roofside installation prior to flashing install.

Can't help you there, I wasn't up there to see it happen. I don't do 7/12 tile roofs...regardless of the season. That's for younger folks. :) Rick

The cap looks like it got wedged. Have a helper hold the pipe firmly at the base. Then take a short 2x4 block and place it under the low edge of the cap. Then hammer tap on the wood block to nudge the cap free.

I'm kicking myself for not taking shots of when I put in the greenhouse cathedral box. We did it just like the installation manual shows except ours was a new roof so it was flanged over roofing paper.

Attachments

• duravent cathedral box roof side.jpg
    duravent cathedral box roof side.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.